Dead iPod - any recourse?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by amin, Oct 2, 2006.

1. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

My 15-month-old iPod Photo (40GB) bit the dust today. While experimenting with early versions of Parallels a couple weeks ago, I had several Mac reboots during times when my iPod was connected and read "Do not disconnect..." Intermittently since then, my iPod's hard drive has been making funny noises. Now, when I try to reset it, it displays "www.apple.com/support/ipod" under a picture of a sad iPod with the exclamation point. I'm pretty sure the hard drive failed. Is there any point in my trying to replace it myself, or should I just get another iPod?

As a follow-up question, if I get a refurb 60GB 5G iPod, will it do gapless playback?

2. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

I don't really know the answer to your first question, but the 60GB 5G should definitely do gapless, because my 30GB 5G does.

FWIW, I would just buy a refurb 5G instead of trying to resurrect your broken one.... but thats just me. :p

3. amin thread starter macrumors 6502a

amin

Oh well. I guess I will get the 60GB refurb. It hurts to have paid $400 for 15 months use. I remember my Sony and Aiwa walkmans back in the day each lasted years. Maybe next time I should get Apple Care...

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

If it's any consolation (probably not) my first Sony walkman (A $200 WM-F10 see here) lasted about 12 months before I had to hold it together with duct tape [The walkman itself was little bigger than a casette and required some mechanical dexterity to insert the tape] after which it only lasted another 6 months or so. :p After that I eschewed size for something a bit more durable until DiscMan's became available...

B

5. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

have you tried to contact apple or go by an apple store.

It may cost a little something...but it might be less than a new iPod.

Personally, I'd try to drop by an Apple Store.

6. Steve Jobless macrumors 6502

what are the chances I could get my dead iPod replaced?

7. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

depends.

need a few details first.

Which version iPod? (How old is it?)

What happened to it?

Did you buy the applecare for it?

8. Porco macrumors 68020

Porco

Have you tried repairing it in Disk Utility?

If the hard drive has actually failed/ is dead, you could try replacing it yourself I guess if you run out of other options.

Oh, and I have had a 5G iPod (60GB) since January and it certainly does gapless playback once you've updated it, (and also brightness control while watching videos too! yay!) but it doesn't do the fancy new search thing (you'd need the second revision 5G for that, like the 80GB for example)

9. blueflame macrumors 6502a

blueflame

:)

you can sell it to me :)
    Andreas

10. Steve Jobless macrumors 6502

well my story is:

4g ipod, 20 gb
    dead hd
    no apple care
    iv posted about it before.

11. amin thread starter macrumors 6502a

amin

Mine is back with the living after doing the following in order:

1) Charging for a while
    2) Many resets
    3) Reset while charging (I think may have been what brought it back to life)

Once it "came to," I did the following additional steps

4) Restore
    5) Repair in Disk Utility (said nothing was wrong)
    6) Resync'd my stuff

Everything seems back to normal. No more HD clunking sounds. Still, I have a feeling its days are numbered. It can't just be that the battery was low. I have had the battery run out many times without that sad iPod icon showing up. Glad to have it back though. I wasn't quite ready to fork out the dough yet for a new one, but would have done so anyway. Driving to work just wouldn't be the same without podcasts.