Dead iPod

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by geeman, Sep 3, 2002.

1. geeman macrumors regular

Can I call on "The Collective" to help me out?

I left my 5Gb iPod unused (and un-connected) for three days straight and now I can't get the thing to turn on. I've tried recharging it for a few hours, using a different firewire cable, even tried a reset (holding down the Menu and Play buttons for a few seconds) but I still get zilch. I can't re-initialise using the iPod updater, because as it won't mount on the desktop, the software can't see it!

Anyone got any ideas before I send it away?

2. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

sorry, no... send it away and face the music i'd say....

is it still under warranty? i'm guessing no... but if it is, no reason to hesitate... if not... well... that sucks

3. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

go to ipoding, and go to the tips/trix section. Try to see if any of them work... if they don't... well... send it away.

irmongoose

4. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Does it turn on at all? Maybe your battery got disconnected somehow! You could pry the case off and see if the cable dissconnected but that voids your warrenty, I would send it to Apple.

5. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

iPod troubles...

I believe I heard a while back that Apple was extending the warranty n all the iPod's to one year, instead of ninety days. You may want to check with Apple's support page to see if it was or not.

Also, I had a similar problem a few weeks ago. Left it in the car and it wouldn't do a thing. I thought the heat may have damaged it, but it was just that the battery had drained. It finally worked again after being plugged into the AC adapter. Try that, not plugging it into the computer. :cool:

6. geeman thread starter macrumors regular

Nope, it doesn't turn on at all.

I read something somewhere that advised to wait a day or two for the battery to totally discharge, then charge it up. Anybody had a similar problem that was fixed by doing that?

7. King Cobra macrumors 603

>(FelixDerKater) I believe I heard a while back that Apple was extending the warranty n all the iPod's to one year, instead of ninety days. You may want to check with Apple's support page to see if it was or not.

Apple did extend their warranty. I took my iPod w/ Power Adapter to the nearby Apple Store and got a free fix, which needs to be fixed. :rolleyes:

This situation occured before with me. Did you try holding down ALL five buttons (play/pause, rewind, FF, menu, center) for about 10 seconds?

8. geeman thread starter macrumors regular

Just to let you guys know: I left the iPod unconnected for five days to totally discharge the battery. I've just plugged it in...and it works! :D :D :D

What's up with that ?:confused: ?

Anyway, just thought I'd update everyone in case it's of use to someone else.

Cheers,

GeeMan