Dead Ipod!!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by G5orbust, Oct 17, 2002.

1. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

My ipod died!! I wont turn on, it wont charge, nothing will show up on the screen, all it does it get hot when i conenct it to my computer, which is something it always did. O and it doesnt show up on the firewire bus chart, in itunes or on the desktop.

It is still under warranty. Does anyone know waht I should do about this?

If i return it, ill apple give me a 10 GB one because i paid 399 for my 5 Gb one and since then theyve dropped the price 100 bucks?

2. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Im pretty sure apple won't give you the 10 gig :D, but 5 gig is enough :). I bet that you can find something in the knowledge base int he support section of the apple site (apple.com). I bet you have already tried this, but that's all I can tell you.

3. Macette macrumors 6502

just send it back

i reckon if you've tried all the stuff in the apple knowledge base, then just send it in. i sent mine in, and it turned out to be okay, but they gave me an extra three months on my warranty - so that's a plus, even if they didn't replace it.

4. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Yeah, I would just send it back. I bet it is something internally wrong, that would be a pain in the arse for you to fix. Send it in, and with a complaint, because apple products shouldn't break. :mad: ;) :D

5. Macpoops macrumors 6502

try doing a hard reset. By holding the buttons on the top and bottom of the wheel for 10 seconds. You must do this when it is plugged in

6. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Since it's under warranty I'd advise you to do that, since what I'm about to describe will definitely make your iPod suddenly become not under warranty.
    Don't do it, and don't blame me if you do.

Some of the earliest 5G iPods have a little issue where if you let the battery run down, it's effectively dead to all outward appearances. There's nothing wrong with the iPod as such. Using whatever tools it takes (and it's not particularly easy to do), pop the back off the iPod. Inside, you will find a little iPod sandwich with the battery on top, the hard drive right under that, and then the logic board at the bottom, with some double-sided sticky stuff and the like holding it all together. Be very careful not to disturb the connector to the hard drive while doing this, but you'll note that the wires coming out of the battery run to a connector on the logic board in the upper-left corner (remember, you're looking at the back). Using something like a pair of tweezers you'd use for motherboard jumpers, disconnect that connector from the logic board, then plug it right back in. Even if the battery is low, if this works the iPod will attempt to power up, and when you plug it in it will charge normally.

I've had to do this with my iPod on occasion all along, but I'm not sure I've had to do it since the last firmware update. Hopefully they fixed something.

7. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

beez7777

um. yeah. don't do that. it will void ur warranty and if it doesn't fix it, ur screwed. send it back, let apple fix it. they will and ull be happy:)

8. G5orbust thread starter macrumors 65816

G5orbust

yea i dont think playing around with my ipods innards will solve my problem. I think its apple's time to fix it. I havent had time to browse the knowlage base yet, so thats what im going to do right now. Ill tell u guys if i find anything.

9. G5orbust thread starter macrumors 65816

G5orbust

hey guys i got it!!!!!!!!! i just did the hard reset buttons and it trun on!!! HURRAY!!!

Thanks for all your help.

10. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

You're lucky. Same thing happened to me last week, but unlike all the other times, my iPod never recovered with the hard reset. Not even after several power-drain attempts. So off it's been sent, in Apple's neat little padded cardboard coffin. *sniff* :(

I think after I get it replaced, I'm going to sell it on eBay and buy a 10 gig from CompUSA with their good replacement plan.

11. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

I'm on my 3rd iPod. My first 2 died on me.

first time it was still under warranty (90-day), had to ship it in the cardboard coffin

second time i went to the apple store and they replaced it there free of charge (out of warranty). it should have cost me over $300.

both times i got a new one. i think apple might still have an unsopken policy of replacing them (regardless of warranty).