Dead iPod

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Fahd, Apr 10, 2004.

1. Fahd macrumors regular

My iPod (the latest version) quit working all of a sudden, that is, if I tried to play a song, nothing would happen, it would change into the song display mode and the song timer would stay at 0.00 (no song is not paused) and I can hear the HDD spinning and making some scratching noises, etc. And after a while all the buttons become unresponsive.

The only way the iPod responds again is if I unplug the power and let the battery drain and plug in the power again.

I've already tried resetting the iPod, the hold on/off and Menu+Play/Pause button for 5 seconds. The iPod apparently did reset, since the apple logo displayed like it is supposed to, but no luck playing any music. Issue persists.

I downloaded a copy of the latest 2.1 ipod updater (just to be safe) and attempted to restore the iPod. No go the ipod just becomes unresponsive again. Anytime the iPod is on the HDD is painfully spinning away. I say this because the HDD makes weird scratching noises as opposed to its usual humming.

I am guessing my HDD is damaged! Your thoughts?

And what are my options?

I believe my ipod is still within warranty and I have not dropped it etc. Actually its never even been off of my desk and doesnt even have a single scratch on it!

Thanks for any help!

2. Frisco macrumors 68020

You're right--does sound like a bad hard drive.

Give Apple a call