Dead Island (Xbox 360/PS3/PC)

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by ApexBoost, Feb 18, 2011.

1. macrumors member

2. macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

The trailer is awful

3. macrumors G3

Huntn

4. thread starter macrumors member

That is a bummer about offline/split screen co-op, I've never understood why developers leave that out.

5. macrumors G3

Huntn

Two words: Time, Money.

6. macrumors 68000

That is the most disturbing trailer I've ever seen. :eek: Think I'll have to skip on this one!

7. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

I actually likes the trailer. But aren't Zombies becoming very passé yet ?

8. macrumors 68000

JackAxe

That's pretty much what I was thinking MacRumorUser. :)

What's with this new generation's obsession with zombies? It's probably going to lead to an epidemic of necrophiliacs. :p

9. macrumors 6502a

spoon man

It looks good but ill hold off until i see some ingame footage tho.

10. macrumors 603

ChazUK

Loved the trailer which has made me look forward to the game. I'll keep an eye on this one for certain!

Sent from my ZTE Blade using Tapatalk

11. macrumors Core

Dagless

I reckon it's because for the first time consoles have been able to make a really "traditional" zombie game. The kind with huge hordes and vast areas to navigate through.
    I bet!
    Wasn't overly impressed with the trailer. Reversing a video doesn't make it cool. Unless it's something cool like a super slow-mo balloon popping but in reverse.

12. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

I'm looking forward to the amorphous blob craze of next year, followed by the demonic nuns with guns faze in 2013 ;)

13. Huntn, Feb 19, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2011

macrumors G3

Huntn

Intriguing and disturbing- wholesome family gets eaten. I liked it. :) Great motion capture.

Apocalyptic survival?

That is excellent advice. Will it stand up to L4D?? I absolutely hate Dead Rising (another zombie game).

14. macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I have Dead Rising on the Wii, but never played it beyond a few minutes and DR 2 is bleh so far. I only played up to getting the first bit of medicine.

I like that show the The Walking Dead and L4D 1/2 are great coop, but overall I'll be happy when the zombie craze has died down a bit.

15. macrumors G3

Huntn

I don't think it can go forever, but look at vampires in literature... However I find vampires have a lot more going for them. ;)

16. macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Yeah, so if anything they'll just reinvent Zombies like they have every other monster. So how long before Zombies take a similar path to vampires -- if they haven't already?

I personally miss the older CHEESE-BALL vampires and their cloaks, pendents, and so on. Now we have Twilight and sparkles, and older women behaving in a way that would get any guy of a similar age on a list.

17. Huntn, Feb 21, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2011

macrumors G3

Huntn

I'm not an expert on all things Vampire, but I credit Ann Rice with creating 'the reluctant vampire' in Interview With a Vampire. Before that they were purely sociopaths who viewed humans as nothing more than dinner. If you've not read Dracula by Bram Stoker, do yourself a favor. It's the original Victorian horror adventure.

The thing is, zombies have too much going against them being all gnarly and such. Vampires don't rot, staying in pristine condition. Don't know how they (zombies) can compete with that when it comes to romance. ;) It's one of the reasons I never got too far with the 'undead' in WoW, bones and rotting flesh, ish.

Lol, double standards. I don't really like how vampires have been turned into super heros, but it can be interesting reading. I have read all of the Sookie Stackhouse novels upon which TrueBlood (HBO) is based.

18. macrumors newbie

Favortie zombie trailer ever. I hope it's good.

19. macrumors G3

Huntn

I think the L4D lead in movies are slightly better. :) I assume you play L4D?

20. Huntn, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2011

macrumors G3

Huntn

It's getting close Dead Island (projected release date early Sept 2011) with 4 Player Online Coop. Will it live up to L4D??? If it is true that is has no split screen- off line coop, it won't. Cooptimus says no... :(

IGN E3 2011 game play- There are quests. I'm thinking I'll look for a demo before purchase.

21. macrumors 68020

Mr. Gates

--Redmond --------- ----------------Washington---
    Its on my list.

I've seen some actual gameplay and it looks like a lot of it centers around finding other survivors.

Might not be the best graphics though

22. macrumors 601

BornAgainMac

I wonder if Dead Island will have special zombies such as the Boomer, Tank, Witch, etc. Special zombies unique to it at least. It looks like it is harder to kill regular zombies compared to L4D.

23. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ yes it does have special variations such as those.

Enjoying witcher 2 and Dues Ex on PC at the moment. I'll pick this up for the 360 or PC at some point but not until I finish either of those.

24. macrumors newbie

Sick game... kind of what dead rising 2 should have been like.

25. macrumors 6502a

spoon man

Just completed it not to sure what to make of the game some areas it had me smiling others had me slamming the controller down and turning my PS3 off which towards the end started to happen a lot.

Has anyone else completed it yet? and what are your views on the game?