Dead keyboard installing XP on MAC PRO

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by jsbaileymac, Sep 6, 2006.

1. jsbaileymac macrumors newbie

I followed the Bootcamp instructions to the letter creating a 32 GB partition for Windows XP on my new mac pro and a CD with Bootcamp stuff.

When I tried to install Windows XP, a response was needed at the blue screen: New install (enter), Repair (R) or F3 to exit. My keyboard was dead and if I tried to reboot, the CD with XP on it tried to install again – couldn’t get the CD out. The mouse was dead as well. Apple care was unable to help.

Has anyone had this problem? Should I have installed the CD that Bootcamp created before trying to install Window XP?

2. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

I had the same problem -- on a MacBookPro and a MacPro.

Use a USB keyboard (non-BT) -- plug it into one of the USB ports.
    Use a WIRED mouse (preferably not Mighty Mouse) -- plug it into one of the USB ports (not on the keyboard.)

That should do it. :)

3. jsbaileymac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks carletonmusic, but I'm a little confused. My Mac Pro already has a wired USB keyboard and there are no inputs for standard keyboards. What is (non-BT)? I do have another mouse that is wired USB - not might mouse; will that make a difference?

4. freezerburrn macrumors member

hmm, I have the BT Mighty Mouse and keyboard combo and while using Boot Camp to install Windows XP, the keyboard worked all the way up until Windows was actually installed. Now I'm having trouble getting both the keyboard and mouse to work properly under windows.

5. Zeke macrumors 6502

Mine stopped working immediately following the Mac device driver installation. Pretty frustrating...trying to reinstall now.

6. BadRambo macrumors member

BadRambo

Had the same problem during early install attempts with my Mac Pro. The problem would occur on the first install screen during XP install --- my solution was to switch out the Apple keyboard, and use a PC keyboard, also USB. It worked --- crazy part is that since my first install, the Apple keyboard has worked fine --- mystery.

Good Luck -- Bob -- :cool:

7. stapler macrumors member

I'm having this problem as well, I'll try what you suggested.