Dead MacBook - How to manually remove a DVD?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by triggerhappy, Mar 8, 2009.

1. macrumors newbie

Hopefully I'm asking this in the right place. I've searched all over the place and there seems to be no similar thread, so apologies if I've missed it.

Sadly, my MacBook met a watery end a few weeks ago and despite a few deperate (and admittedly pointless) attempts to start it up I've accepted that it will never never chime again.

My problem is that there is a DVD stuck in the drive, and while there are several guides on how to force a DVD out, they seem to all start with the assumption that the MacBook will switch on in the first place, even if it won't boot.

Mine, having been chock full of water, doesn't take any notice of power button pushing, and so any ways that require the drive to have any power (pressing and holding the mouse button, tilting 45 degrees etc) are no dice for me.

Can anyone give me some advice as to how to force it out manually without damaging the disc or the drive (I'm holding on to a desperate hope that the drive might still be operational and could be put to use elsewhere.) I have no qualms about opening the machine up fully if that's what it takes, although I'd really rather avoid taking the drive apart.

Thanks in advance.

2. macrumors 68000

Bacong

How valuable is this DVD?

Drives aren't that expensive. I'd just take the machine apart.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

The disk is a Leopard install disk that, er, doesn't belong to me.

I was just hoping to salvage any still working parts to possibly make some kind of zombie machine from the various dead apple products I have littered around here. Not terribly important - just a project of sorts.

If worst comes to worst I'll take the drive apart, was just wondering if anyone had any less destructive ways of doing it. Cheers though :)

4. Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

I ended up having to take the whole thing apart. Managed to get the disk out safe and sound. Cheers for the suggestions though folks.

Now I just need to figure out if there is any power running through the logic board to see if anything's worth rescuing.