Dead Macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by craigatkinson, Jun 30, 2006.

1. craigatkinson macrumors regular

craigatkinson

I recieved my macbook 3 days ago, and I recieved 2 GB of Transcend Ram from Newegg yesterday in the mail. Right when I got it I installed it in my macbook. I made sure that it was seated properly when I did so because I had heard that people were having problems with this. When I put the Ram in and turned it on it wouldn't start. So I thought, well maybe one of the sticks of Ram is bad, so I took on out. That didn't work, so I switched them. That didn't work so I put the original ram back in, that didn't work either. I called Apple and after troubleshooting with them they told me the machine must be dead. I sent the machine back to Amazon for a replacement.

My question is, what could I have possibly done wrong? And even more importantly, should I be worried about the Ram now? Should I send the Ram back, or was this just a fluke? I'm hesistant to put it back in the replacement machine. What should I do?

2. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

This is probably stating the obvious, but are you sure your RAM was pushed in all the way? You have to press the sticks remarkably hard before they finally snap into place. If they're not in there completely, the machine wouldn't boot.

3. craigatkinson thread starter macrumors regular

craigatkinson

I don't know how I could have pushed harder. I knew this was an issue before I ever installed them. I made sure that I pressed hard. How would I know if I had not pushed them in far enough? It felt like they had pressed in.

4. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

There will be a definite 'click' and they'll move in a couple of millimeters farther. It's not a smooth action. I had marks on my fingers I was pushing them in so hard. Thought I was going to break my Macbook.

5. craigatkinson thread starter macrumors regular

craigatkinson

Well you know, that would suck if I just sent back a perfectly good macbook. I could have sworn I pushed as hard as I could, but now your making me doubt.

6. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Well, I know it is stating the obvious but when you get a new machine, run it for a couple of days in its stock configuration, before adding RAM, and before installing BootCamp or any haxies. It just makes troubleshooting way easier if you have a baseline, and don't introduce multiple variables at once.

8. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Don't worry about it. When you get your new one, just be sure it clicks, and you'll be all set. Relax and wait for your delivery person!

EDIT: Ah! The RAM god has spoken (literally). ;)

9. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

yes the best description I've heard for install ram is "push harder than you are comfortable pushing something into your brand new mac"

10. craigatkinson thread starter macrumors regular

craigatkinson

Does anyone have a technique or a tool they use to insert the ram more effectively? I was sure yesterday that my problem wasn't due to inproper installation, but now I'm not so sure. I heard one guy say he used a piece of hard plastic to push on it with. Any other bright ideas? :)