Dead Pixel in 5G iPod (Video)???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by HardHatMac9, Oct 27, 2005.

1. HardHatMac9 macrumors regular

Jun 2, 2004
    Hello all,

I recently bought a 60GB Black 5G iPod Video. The LCD had what seemed to be a dead pixel, however the technician at the store where I purchased my iPod told me that it wasn't a *dead pixel* but a problem with the plastic covering the screen (part of the iPod) which creates a *prism effect* that looks like a Dead Pixel. They replaced my iPod and I still need to set up the new one.

Do you have (what looks like) a DEAD PIXEL on your new 5G iPod (Video)?
  2. quackattack macrumors 6502a

Aug 13, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Looks like you have seen the generous replacement policy first hand! Glad they replaced your iPod.
  3. SummerBreeze macrumors 6502a

Sep 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    That sucks that you have a dead pixel (real or masquerading as a "prism"), but I'm glad that they replaced the iPod for you. I actually had something similar happen on my gameboy when I was 13 or so, there was a scratch that made a part of it look dead. It was very sad.
  4. camerons macrumors newbie

Sep 13, 2004
    Yea. I have one, or what looks to be one.. But when I tilt it verticaly it goes away... So i think it is the prism effect.. If I bought it online, can I go to an Apple store to replace it?
  5. HardHatMac9 thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 2, 2004
    Yes, you should be able to do this. Meanwhile, I got a replacement and I still haven't opened it yet because I am thinking of taking it back. These things seem like they scratch and are faulty.

Did your iPod scratch ridiculously easily too?
  6. camerons macrumors newbie

Sep 13, 2004
    Ha, I dont know. I still have the factory clear plastic on it until I get some sort of a case :p

THanks for the info
  7. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Dec 27, 2004
    Avon, IN
    I have one as well but it doesn't bother me enough to deal with a replacement as most of the time I will be using the iPod for music anyways :) I just like it becuase it holds more (30GB) and is smaller!
  8. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Oct 16, 2004
    Peoria/Chicago, IL
    Yeah I still have the plastic on it too. Now if they only put on the back of it...:rolleyes:
  9. muffinman macrumors 6502

Jun 1, 2005
    San Diego, California
    wow your apple store is nice. mine strive to save money and products as much as possible. they are almost impossible to bargain with.
  10. HomerJSimpson macrumors newbie

May 29, 2005
    On my video, when i have my sunglasses on, the bottom middle of the screen looks crystalised... might be normal but just wondering. Also for protection Why dont you use the leather case they gave you? On scratching, they are to use so if it gets scratched, unlucky. Just my thoughts.Overall they are unreal.