Dead pixel on 13.3" MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by bzn8, Nov 3, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

I have received my maxed out macbook air last week and did not even think about checking for dead or stuck pixels (not like my led TV which I had to return several times) until this article about Apple's policy was posted on MacRumors.

That made me curious and I began starting to look for anomalies which resulted in finding 1 dead pixel on the lower left part of my screen.

Of course now it is bugging me and I am really thinking about returning it because of the money I have spent on it.

Should I call the AppleCare first or go straight to the store? Would they even consider replacing the unit granting they have one in stock?

2. macrumors 6502a

itommyboy

Target fixation can be dangerous. Try running some pixel fixing software first may be all you need. Best chance you have at a return with only one bad is probably at the :apple:store.

3. macrumors 65816

joshwithachance

if the policy holds true, then you would need to have more than 3 dead pixels for an exchange. but I'm pretty sure you can still return the computer and get your money back and repurchase.

4. macrumors 6502a

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

I have an appointment at the Apple store tomorrow. I'll keep you posted. I have also checked with them about the availability of the MBA 13 configuration I have and they did confirm they have it in stock. Hopefully they will exchange it otherwise I'll return it and buy another one.

6. macrumors demi-god

If they're being strict about not fixing it under warranty, then they're probably not going to waive the 10% restock fee if he tries to return it.

Hopefully they aren't dicks!

7. thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow. Is $189 worth having my MBA free of pixel defects? I would say yes. But not if I have already spent close to $2000 for it. Should I act like I know nothing about pixels and I just see a black spot that looks like a piece of crap stuck behind my screen?

I am also thinking about bringing some colored backgrounds to check if the next one has any defect. Would they allow me to do that? Of course I won't be able to play dumb about my ignorance of pixels.

8. macrumors 6502a

At this point you should do a return..you have already noticed it and it will bug you forever. The software fixes don't work. Apple will not charge you a restocking fee. Yes, they have a policy but the staff has lots of discretion in applying that restocking fee.