Dead Pixel on my new 17" iMac - options?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Apple!Freak, Oct 23, 2005.

1. macrumors 6502a

Apple!Freak

I got my new 17" iMac on Friday that I bought to use as my media Mac and I sat through 13 episodes of Lost last night (yeah, I just got addicted and had to watch one after the other) and noticed one dead pixle that is stuck on blue to the middle left side of the screen.

Because, I will be watching a lot of videos, pictures, etc on this Mac, it will become very annoying to have even just that one pixel out, so my question stands with: do you think Apple will replace the screen if I bring it back to my local Apple Store? It's a custom build so an exchange wouldn't work.

Anyone think they will just replace the screen even though it's just one pixel seeing as I just got it on Friday?

EDIT: Or actually better yet, because the 250GB HD is the only thing custom about it, do you think they could just grab another new 17" iMac and swap the hard drives?

2. macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

Doubly bad news.

1. Apple has a very strict dead pixel policy, which is to say one is not enough (nor two or three).

2. You have a BTO computer, so Apple will make it very hard to return or do most things with.

With that out of the way though, you DO have options in the form of third-party software.

There are multiple programs that flash colors on your screen and are very good at unsticking pixels. The only name I can think of is Pixel Warrior, but there are others.

Good luck!

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apple!Freak

I don't understand how they could leave a customer out like that.

If I buy a computer, and it's defective in one way or another, it's defective and they need to replace it. Right?

At least this is how I thought the world worked. Guess all of us customers are chumps?

4. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apple!Freak

I'll bring it into the Apple Store today and see if they can give me a body swap, and basically just put the HD in a new unit.

I think I can get them to do this seeing as beyond the dead pixel, the body also has a couple of problems. Number 1, the part just above the apple logo in front where the screen meets to body is bent out a little (or warped), and number 2, the body screws don't seem to tighten as well as they should as they leave the two pieces pretty loose.

We'll see what happens today.

5. macrumors 6502

I think you will get a replacement, as long as you are fairly firm about how displeased you are with the pixel problem. I heard that the Apple Store policy is that there is no minimum number of dead pixels before they accept a return, as long as the problem is disturbing enough to the customer.

Good luck.

6. macrumors 6502

Having said that, you problably can't return it to an Apple retail store if you bought it online...

7. Moderator emeritus

devilot

I doubt you'll have much luck, OP... when my brand new iMacG5 rev. B had a busted superdrive the second day I got it (when I called into AppleCare they even said it qualified as DOA) they wouldn't swap my machine...

Why? It was BTO...

From 512MB to 1GB. I guess that RAM was too difficult to swap. :rolleyes: :(

8. macrumors P6

wdlove

I think that it is worth taking your new iMac G5 back to your local Apple Store. Since you have more just the dead pixel you may be in luck. Just be sure to be firm and polite. Good luck, will look forward to hearing what happens.

9. macrumors G3

QCassidy352

The point is that Apple doesn't consider one stuck pixel "defective." I have one on my 20" apple cinema, and honestly, it's not too noticable.

10. macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Applefreak I would try to gently but firmly rub the pixel with a soft cloth. Many times they can be rubbed in if you will. If not tell Apple you use your machine as a professional and it has to be perfect yada yada yada. Good luck

11. macrumors 604

zap2

is it dead or stuck cuz stuck ones can be fixed( and they are norma,l colored) just do a forum search for stuck pixel

12. macrumors member

I would raise all hell. Dead/stuck pixels are the worst. It's a cosmetic flaw that you'll always notice and it will detract from your overall computing experience. I think they should replace it for you and if they don't, just keep trying to climb the chain of command until you get it fixed.

13. macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

USE SOFTWARE BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING!

There's no need to make a big deal out of something that may be able to be fixed quite easily.

14. Lau

If it's any consolation, a blue one is probably the least noticable in my opinion. I've got one, and I very rarely see it. Not that that stops it being any less annoying though, especially on a new computer.

15. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apple!Freak

Okay, I'm back from the Apple Store. Well, like always, they didn't help for beans. They said because it's a custom build I'm going to need to call 800-My-Apple to request an exchange. Yay for me! :rolleyes:

And now my $50 for next day air shipping was for nothing seeing as I won't have the iMac for at least a week.

Anyway, because I spent two days organizing my files on the new iMac and now have to wipe the drive, does anyone know how I can go about saving everything right as it is, and then loading the (disk image?) on the new iMac when it arrives so everything will be the same?

... Apple's service is REALLY (!) starting to piss me off. More of this crap and I won't be a customer for too much longer, no matter how much I love Apple.

16. macrumors G3

QCassidy352

No offense, but I'm not sure what you're complaining about. 1 stuck pixel is really not that big a deal, at happens with all LCDs, not just apple, and they're actually taking it back. What more do you want?

17. macrumors G3

have you tried gently massaging it with the eraser end of a pencil?

clink and read

18. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apple!Freak

You're not sure what I'm complaining about?!?!

I'll tell you what I'm complaining about. I laid down $1.4 grand for a new iMac that I bought to use as my media center computer. I thought I could live with the dead pixel but 13 hours of watching video later, I discovered it's too much of an anoyance.

I realize it's one pixel but it's there, and I see it! I don't care if it was half a pixel. It's not suppose to be there, and I almost flatend my wallet entirley with this purchase and it better be perfect. End of story.

19. macrumors 601

OneMike

Anybody that says one bad pixel is not bad is crazy. If it's a $2 purchase or a $2000 purchase you still paid to get things how you expected them to be.

If it were me I would've got everything fixed and got my shipping refunded for the time I wasted. If not I would've returned everything and got a full refund. Being that you ordered online you have an advantage as you didn't pay with cash.

You don't have to be rude which I never advice, but just because a company tells you something doesn't mean that you have to settle for it.

I had a simiar problem when the first models of the Imac G5 came out. Long story short. Didn't get what I expected. Took back with intent to return for full refund if I didn't get what I expected to. Left store with what I originally wanted an more without paying another cent. Never raised my voice or was rude, just remained firm on my issue. Money back or give me what I paid for. Simple.

20. macrumors 601

jaw04005

It's sort of ironic but out of the 13 or 14 LCD screens I've purchased for both my home and my family's business, only two have had stuck or dead pixels and they were Apple Cinema displays.

Heh. Stuck/dead pixels are a problem with almost all manufacturers, however Apple is notorious for their strict dead pixel policy. I see one stuck or dead pixel as a FLAW, and I personally can't help but be irritated by them when I'm retouching photos, watching videos, or in general just at the computer for long periods of time.

Just because Apple makes this product, doesn't mean consumers shouldn't demand better return policies. If Dell's online store, Amazon, and other merchants can afford to take the displays back so can the Apple Store.

21. macrumors 68020

That's interesting Devilot, I had my PowerBook swapped in an Apple Store and it was the same except for RAM also. Was your RAM third-party?

22. macrumors 65816

If you raise hell back in the store and talk to a manager they WILL replace it for you....

The mac genius guys really have no restrictions to what they can or cannot do. I have had friends who had the same problem was delt entirely different. One was replaced, the other was repaired. Same problem.

I personally had my PB's latch get knocked out of place which prevented it from being closed properly. I waited for about an hour for help, that the manager offered to replace the whole system just because the latch was knocked out of place. A simple bend towards the right direction would have fixed it but the manager was willing to replace it.

Just go back and speak to a manager.

23. macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

I seriously doubt they would ever just replace a BTO (especially with a hard drive upgrade) in the store.

24. Moderator emeritus

devilot

If you read my post again... it was BTO straight from Apple online-- bumping the RAM from 512MB to 1GB was the ONLY modification from stock that I got on my machine. :mad: Buuuuut, I guess I can't really complain because they did eventually fix the optical drive after 3 weeks. :rolleyes: Meanwhile people on MR have much 'worse' issues fixed w/in 3 days. Apple doesn't like me. :(

25. macrumors G3

Vote KT for CFO and Apple will love you!
    (wait.. CFO isn't a democracy!)

Yeah, when I went, there was a big sign with your 'tar that said "Devilot76 is a dork!" and it had a mustache and devil horns drawn on it. Also, they drew a hand that was picking your 'tar's nose.

I forgot to take a pic, but I thought it was hilarious. Steve Jobs and I were chillin' next to it, sipping on some starbucks makin' fun of it.

Good times, good times.

Man, that would've been so weird... hahaha