Dead pixel question

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Willy S, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Willy S macrumors 6502

I noticed that on my iMac 1.8 Superdrive I have a lot of dead pixels, at least I think these are dead pixels and they are at least a 100 if not more. They are all the same light blue/green color and are obvious if you look for them but otherwise not.

I can´t find any of those on my 1.6 combo iMac that I bought from ebay. I wonder what to do since the iMac is still under warranty and will be until May 2006. These pixels doesn´t bother my now, but this must be a fault that falls under the warranty...right?

I also wonder what Apple Europe would do if I send the iMac to them. Would they just change the display or would I get a new iMac...rev A or rev B? I´m also thinking of sending it to them later if that might increase that chances of getting a rev B.

What do you guys think?

2. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

You have 100 dead pixels and you just noticed them all? o_O

3. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

I think if you have that many dead pixels you should take it back to apple and have them look at it. They proabbaly will replace the screen, if the imac is under the warranty period.

4. Willy S thread starter macrumors 6502

So they could just replace the screen?

On my other iMac I have found only 2 dead pixels. My wife describe them as glimmer. That are dead pixels right?

The main reason I bought two macs was that I wanted stable computers. :(

5. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Yes take it to an Apple Authorized repair center and have the screen replaced. Apple has a 3-4 dead pixel policy and you more then meet that, have the screen replaced under the warranty.

6. Willy S thread starter macrumors 6502

Each pixel is small and you won´t notice easilly. I don´t know if they have been there for long or if they just turned up suddenly.

7. iDM macrumors 6502a

iDM

The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    I'd like to see a picture of 100 dead pixels cause i can't believe this to be a defect as opposed to part of the screen maybe being cracked or something

8. Willy S thread starter macrumors 6502

It is definately not cracked. It has been on its table for since I bought it and nothing has hit it.

9. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

If you have 100 dead pixel they will replace the screen for you. I think the minimum is like 7 or 9 dead pixels... but I could be wrong. However, 100 dead pixels is a no brainer for Apple haha. You should be good getting the screen repaired.

10. Malachi macrumors newbie

Malachi

Replacement or repair depends on the "screen size/# of pixel anomaly" ratio

Taken from the Apple Knowledge Base:

About LCD display pixel anomalies
    This document defines the term "pixel anomaly", explains why such anomalies occur, and describes what to do if you feel your active matrix LCD panel has more than an acceptable number of pixel anomalies.

Many Apple products use active-matrix LCD panels, including the iMac (Flat Panel), iBook, recent PowerBook computers, and Apple Cinema displays. In addition to being slim and light, active-matrix LCD technology provides customers with many visual performance advantages when compared to traditional cathode-ray tube- (CRT) based displays, such as increased brightness, sharpness, and contrast ratio.

Active-matrix LCD technology uses rows and columns of addressable locations (pixels) that render text and images on screen. Each pixel location has three separate subpixels (red, green and blue) that allow the image to be rendered in full color. Each subpixel has a corresponding transistor responsible for turning the subpixel on or off.

There are typically millions of these subpixels on an LCD display. For example, the LCD panel used in the Apple Cinema HD display is made up of 2.3 million pixels and 6.9 million red, green, and blue subpixels. Occasionally, a transistor does not work perfectly, which may result in the affected subpixel being turned on (bright) or turned off (dark). With the millions of subpixels on a display, it is quite possible to have a low number of faulty transistors on an LCD. Therefore, a certain number of subpixel anomalies is considered acceptable. Rejecting all but perfect LCD panels would significantly increase the retail price for products using LCD displays. These factors apply to all manufacturers using LCD technology--not just Apple products.

If you suspect your display contains a high number of pixel anomalies, take your Apple product to an Apple Authorized Service Provider for closer examination. There may be a charge for the evaluation.

11. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

You didn't do a big sneeze on the screen did you ;)? I've lost count how many times I thought I'd acquired some dead pixels and it turned out to be booger :).

If you send the thing back they'll replace it for sure - even a few pixels in a cluster as the others said will be replaced if you are courteous and insistant.

This does not affect the stability of your compter at all. It will still run fine and although annoying. Most computer manufacturers have the same policies re LCD displays. (although a few have adopted a zero dead pixel policy). The LCD manufacturers are getting a lot better lately but some still escape quality control. A couple of dead pixels is something you'll just have to live with. I've had a couple on my TiBook and only notice them when I look for them.