Dead Pixels everywhere on Apple Displays

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Philoman, Mar 26, 2003.

1. macrumors member

Philoman

I recently purchased and returned two and seen one other 20 inch cinema displays with dead pixels.

Is this common on Apple LCD monitors?

Usually you can detect dead pixels better if you have a black background.
    In severe cases, you can see plainly on your screen with desktop picture.

(you can quickly make your screen black if you go to Screen Effects and select Picture Folder and press test (OSX) - NOTE: if you have any pictures selected, this will not work.)

2. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

How many dead pixels are we talking about? I have a TiPB and it has bad pixels, one dead and one stuck. Not that big of deal since they're off to the side. But I know that there have been issues.

D

3. macrumors 6502a

this is why i have formacs 2010 so i don't have to deal with dead pixels and if i have 3 dead ones within 3 years, they send me a new monitor, much better than apple's 10 dead pixel warranty.

Tyler

4. macrumors 68020

howard

i know lots of people with different kinds of macs, old and new with all sorts of pixel anomolies. its something that seems to be a problem

5. macrumors G3

Rememeber people who have problems complain a lot.

I have three different Apple LCD screens with no problems.

6. thread starter macrumors member

Philoman

Hey Bear, is this mean I have a lot of problems in my life? or are you suggesting that we should "complain a lot" about this issue?

7. macrumors G3

No what I meant is that in general the pool of people who have problems complain while the people who have no problems usually don't say much.

This was more directed at "I've heard a log of people have problems..." that some people use. This tends to blow issues out of proportion.

8. macrumors 604

iJon

the one i used to have had one dead pixel right in the middle, this was a 20 inch display. call apple and raise hell. couldnt hurt.

iJon

9. macrumors 604

MrMacMan

0 dead pixels on 17" iMac.

BTW, make sure they aren't putting the one with dead pixels and giving the screen with them back to you.
    Its saddlu been done.
    Return one ---> get new one ----> They might (if not shipped back yet) give you the nearest one to them, the one you returned originally! :eek: .

Make sure it doesn't happen to you.

10. macrumors member

Not really on topic, but I just replaced the display on my pb400ti and have noticed a single stuck pixel (always red). It is off to the side but should I complain and get it fixed or just live with it??

11. macrumors member

Stuck Pixel City and Apple Woes

I'm very disappointed with some of my apple purchases as of late... ipod excluded. Stuck pixels... bitchy tech support (even with applecare)

What ever happened to a simple on / off switch that just turns the monitor off instead of sleeping the machine? What happened to the keyboard power switch / sleep / cancel?

What happened to blazing speeds? Built in SCSI?

as a ten year apple veteran, I'm failing to see the advantage of mac hardware. Apple, s*** or get off the pot! Time for return of the clones.;)

12. macrumors 68020

G4scott

The only dead pixel on any Apple screen of mine was on an old blueberry iBook. My latest iBook and my PowerBook G4 12" have no dead or stuck pixels.

13. macrumors 604

iJon

Re: Stuck Pixel City and Apple Woes

bye

iJon

14. macrumors 65816

alset

I have only seen a dead pixel on one Apple LCD, EVER. I know that doesn't mean they aren't an issue, and you best believe that I'd raise hell if I got a new display with DPs in the middle of my screen, but I don't think it's such an issue as to give Apple a bad rep.

Dan

15. macrumors 65816

iBook 500-0 dead pixels
    22" cinema display-2 dead pixels
    23" HDTV-0 dead pixels
    15" iMac- 0 dead pixels
    15"pBook-0 dead pixels

A 23" had 2 bad pixels and I returned for a new one [above] with 0 bad pixels. I wouldn't say it's a problem until tens of thousands of people complain. What, maybe hundred or so people out of the hundreds of thousands of notebooks, iMacs and LCDs have a few bad pixels?

That sounds pretty damn good to me so the notion of Apple putting out crappy LCD is, well, crap.

16. macrumors 603

janey

17. macrumors member

Apple has been much better than average for me.

23" inch cinema display 0 dead/stuck
    22" inch cinema display 0 dead/stuck
    15" imacs (3) 0 dead/stuck
    15" powerbooks (2) 0 dead/stuck
    14" powerbook 0 dead/stuck

My other displays are all Eizo, SGI, or Formac. Only the SGI has a problem, one stuck pixel (but it is very very old, the old 1600x1024 one).

Be careful of Formac. They make many promises with their warranty, but if you try to file a claim against it you will be in for a world of frustration (in my experience at least, and many others').

The Eizo displays are top notch in every way, and better quality than any of the Apple displays I own. They cost more per inch though.

18. .a
    macrumors regular

one stuck pixel on new ibook 12" hmmm... what about massage-ing it? i've heard about it, but i am not that sure if i should touch around the screen.
    .a

19. macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

We have 40 iMac Flatpanels, 30 iBooks, 5 Apple TFT displays at our company: a total of 3 dead pixels! Seriously.
    My uncle got an iMac Flatpanel at home: het got 2.
    In my opinion, there is no issue, my uncle's opinion: Apple has a problem....
    I would like to know the dead/stuck pixel to Apple TFT ratio.
    What is acceptable? And what is the chance of being that unlucky that you have 9 dead pixels on a 15" iMac, and can't claim anything?

20. macrumors 6502

If I had 9 dead pixels and Apple wouldn't do anyting about it, I'm sure I'd find a way to kill some pixels manually.. :cool:

1 or 2 dead pixels is not a real problem I think, it can happen, you should know this when you buy a TFT.

21. macrumors member

I work at a place that recently purchased several 20" CD and found that there was 1 stuck pix right smack in the middle of the display on one of them. If it were off to the side, I wouldn't care, but right in the middle is distracting. I hope this isn't a sign that apple is trying to cut corners to offer their displays at a lower cost...

22. macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

And if not, you can kill the salesman not offering a deal manually :D

23. macrumors regular

Just used that pixel program to be sure, but no dead pixels on my 17" iMac. I was worried I would have afew but am impressed with a flawless screen (knock on wood). My last computer was a notebook that shipped with a few dead pixels. What a sucky way to start with a new computer.

24. macrumors 6502

Has anyone had luck getting Apple to take back dead pixel laptops?

I love my new 12" AlBook, but there's a single very frustrating dead pixel. The day I got it, I called up Apple, and the rep actually laughed at me. Laughed! When I suggested that I'd like to exchange my machine because of the dead pixel. She gave me the standard line about how if there weren't 10, then it wasn't a defect. I couldn't return it in any case, she said, because it was a custom configuration.

Has anyone had luck getting apple to replace TFTs for one or two dead pixels?

25. macrumors newbie

It worked!

Yesterday, when I got my new 17" iMac, I found a nice stuck pixel almost in the middle of the screen. It was white at a blue background, and green at a black background. Very annoying.
    Anyways, I tried to rub it. It didn't work at first, but I tried again today and rubbed it for about 2 minutes and it started to blink. I rubbed it some more and it actually disappeared! Now I'm really happy with my iMac, and I doesn't feel bummed for being one of the poor ppl having stuck/dead pixels. :)
    Good luck to any other person who tries this out, cause it doesn't seem to always work.