Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arturovenezuela

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2005
I have my 5th Gen 30GB White Ipod since December 29th... I don´t know why I just realized it has 1 dead pixel... even though I have been taking great care of it... it never fell, and Is still with the plastic cover...

What do I need to do to get this fixed? how bad does the screen needs to be in order to get a replacement...

There´s no such option in the support area..

PLEASE HELP.

Thanks
Arturo

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
princealfie said:
I think that a mac genius can help out but typically it's usually 7 dead pixels before replacement?

7 dead pixels? Surely it can't be that much when it has a quite low-resolution in the first place. I'm sure Apple would give you a replacement, but if they don't... well your out of luck.

rye9

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
I imagine they'd fix it but I could see them arguing it isnt a high enough amount of pixels. But there's always the argument that it disrupts viewing, which it does... well no one here can tell you if Apple will fix it... you have to ask Apple themselves.

feelthefire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2006
I believe as many as seven dead pixels are within spec for a 5G iPod. There is always a dead pixel tolerance and it is as many as twenty or thirty on laptop screens, so one dead pixel won't get you anywhere, really.

lamina

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
My 5G iPod has a few red (stuck) pixels that show up once every few months. A simple (and EXTREMELY GENTLE) massage makes them go away for another few months.

If your pixels are near the center of the screen, GENTLY push on the display just enough so that you can see the liquid moving under the glass (did I mention be gentle), and it may or may not work. This works best when the iPod is on and the dead pixels are most noticeable.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
I doubt the thresholds Apple uses for larger displays apply to the iPod. I haven't heard much about dead/stuck pixels on iPods, so I would figure they would be pretty lenient on it.

Speaking of which, my DS has had a stuck pixel from day one. I should get it fixed/replaced...

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
I bought the same iPod that you have from BestBuy and I had a dead pixel. The thing was, when I showed it to them the pixel didn't even show up! However, they replaced it no questions asked! I guess I got lucky. :D

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
You should post a pic if you have one. I hope it doesnt happen to me. I would definitely talk to apple...they should help you out.

feelthefire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2006
If you have fewer than seven stuck pixels, they don't have a reason to help you out, as that's within spec for the 5G iPod.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.