Dead pixels not covered by PSP warranty

Discussion in 'Games' started by manicdvln, Mar 23, 2005.

1. manicdvln macrumors member

Email from videogameplus.ca customers

What this means is, you get dead pixels on your PSP, TOO BAD!

Sony arrogance strikes again!

2. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

So what, were you expecting some other response from Sony?

3. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

That doesn't suprise me. Even though Sony is a large company, it doesn't give a **** about it's customers.

4. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Well, Nintendo replaces the unit for a single dead pixel. Though they're probably the exception.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

nintendo, or rather Lik Sang, replaced my sisters, my girlfriends and my own DS's because of dead pixel problems. they were american imports.

funnily enough a couple of my mates have bought UK versions since the official release without any dead pixels... AND an actual box/case for Metroid hunters.

oh well. Sony style, fun anyone? :rolleyes:

6. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Because they are just so god damn good to their customers! They don't replace the dead pixels because they are to god damn lazy! In other words if I get a PSP with with 25 % of the screen dead pixels, to f****ng bad for me! Now that's what I call customer service! Keep up the great work, Sony!

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

well that really sucks, i suppose many people will be buying Best Buy's warranty if it covers dead pixels on a unit, sure makes it worth paying the extra money for it if it does

good job sony :::claps::: :rolleyes:

8. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Sony! Sony! Sony!

Honestly...

9. Otto Rehhagel macrumors regular

Otto Rehhagel

Sony shouldn't be able to get away with this...People should band together and send emails, letters, make phone calls, until Sony does something about it.

Anyone remember that campaign against Apple for the battery problem on the iPods? If Sony thinks the PSP is going to be THAT popular, they are going to have a lot of pissed off customers.

Oh, and to avoid all possible problems, just wait for a next revision or get a DS. They come out of the box virtually problem-free: no dead pixels, no drive problems, no sticking buttons because the screen is too big. For the price of three EA sports games on the PSP, the DS is yours.

10. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

11. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

lol, if you get one with a dead pixel, stick a knife into the UMD slot until you break the laser or something, then send it back for that. problem solved!! J/K

12. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

As I predicted, the official PSP forums are FLOODING with people getting their PSPs on the east coast and getting dead pixels... one dude just reported 8...

I'll be super pissed if I get any tomorrow... I'm an anal guy and I'm already paying too much for it thanks to the forced value pack, I want a perfect unit.

In the real unit, LCDs with dead/stuck pixels have slightly less value.

13. mstecker macrumors 6502

No dead pixels on mine

I got mine at midnight, and it has no dead pixels.

Overall, it is a thing of beauty. I'm watching TV programs that I've transcoded and dumped onto a memory stick from my DVR (thank you ReplayTV for not encrypting your data like Tivo), and it is just amazing.

This is honestly the first holy ****, this is amazing moment I've had since the original iPod was released.

Matthew

14. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Welcome to the club my GF and I spun out when we first opened our Japanese import, I was freaked out about dead pixels back then too, it had none. When I fired up Ridge Racers I was even more amazed, the PSP is an amazing piece of kit, it's just a shame it's getting such a bad rep for no reason. The more games I buy the more I love it. There are some great titles in the US release so it looks like my AMEX is about to get a battering again.

Hopefully the US release goes well with only a few b0rked PSPs, like anything though the people with the problems will Yell loudest I'm glad someone else has come forward to admit they love the PSP. Hopefully Sony do have a reasonable dead pixel policy in place, if not I'm sure the public will force one on them quickly.

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

oh deary me

-shameful 2:30 battery life w/ wireless enabled
    -blaitent rip off console/memory stick/spare battery prices
    -all in one device (need i say more :rolleyes: )
    -easy damageable screen
    -no dead pixel return policy

...yea, for no reason.

so thats PSP, memory stick big enough to store vids, extra warranty, extra battery... might as well just buy a PowerBook. for about £200 or $ extra you could probably afford the 12" stock combo.

16. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

I've been playing Twisted Metal online, full brightness, full sound, and got 4:28 of battery life, so I dunno where the 2:30 figure comes from. Yes, the Memory stick prices are insane, but I think newegg has decent pricing on sandisk ones. Though its a all-in-one device, It puts a strong priority on what is most important, games. It's kinda like they threw in all the extra features just for people to have something to do in case they don't want to play games.

I have 4 games for mine now, and all I can say is that they are simply amazing. I'm about to pickup Untold Legends now, so I can have some hack-n-slash diablo like gameplay again.

oh, BTW
    PSP= $250
    Battery= $50 (at the most)
    Memory Stick=100-300 depending on size.

TOTAL= $600MAX, last time I check 12" powerbook starts at $1500. Great comparison. not.

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

cheers for going into that, i didnt work out the prices. but whatever, i dont know about dollars but my guess is $600 buys you a lot of DS and games. jesus, come to think of it you could just buy a PS2 AND a DS. maybe? like i said i dont know dollars.

fantastic value for money. that and the dead pixel return policy. cant lose!

18. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Laptop with DVD player and Windows XP and 40 GB hard drive and wireless and 14" screen: $550.
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3163026&cat=3944&type=19&dept=3944&path=0:3944

Blows away the PSP for media. 40 GB hard drive (vs up to 2 GB for $300 for the PSP), way bigger screen, and REAL DVD playback instead of UMD.

You can rip DVD's onto the hard drive, as well, and store a ton. Sure, it may be illegal, but you were suggesting doing the same thing on the PSP :rolleyes:

Laptop with Linux and 20 GB HD: $499.

or this combo:

Portable DVD player $150:
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3629763&cat=3944&type=19&dept=3944&path=0:3944

Much bigger screen, plays real DVD's.

iPod Shuffle, $99.

Nintendo DS, $150.

That's $400, for the ability to play music on a TINY device you can carry on you, a portable DVD player with a MUCH bigger screen, and the DS for games.

The PSP is a jack of all trades master of none when it comes to Media. Don't bother buying it for media, because it's media capabilities are a gimmick. Get it only for games if you want it.

BTW the 2:30 figure comes from wireless, as he said. If you play multiplayer or go online you should get that battery life. Single player gets around 4-5 hours on average.

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

not to mention the 'all in one' battery problems... if one device dies. it ALL dies.

thats not aimed at the PSP but similar devices like the N-Gage.

20. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Yes, poor Sony geting all this negative stuff. Well guess what Sony? When you don't give crap about your customers that's pretty much your fault. Sony isn't making any money from me anytime soon, knowing that they don't give s**t about defects with their products. The PSP is poorly made. Plenty of dead pixels and loose buttons, and they won't cover it ethier. Seriously Sony, just stick to making TVs. It's the only good thing you can make.

21. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Damn so the PSP is an all in one device now? What the hell am I going to do with my spare battery? Um do you have any idea about the PSP at all, or do you just spout off facts you read from IloveNintendo.com?

The list of "faults" I see above the only 1 I'd be questioning is the "no dead pixel" return policy, that's crazy. I live in Australia though and here if something doesn't work as expected you have to replace it. Sony Australia would never get away with that, things must be different in the US. It'll be interesting to see what the public have to say about that.

As for comments about Sony not giving a crap about their customers, um yeah welcome to the world of huge ass corporations, you don't really think Apple give a toss about you do you? Apple have a horrible dead pixel policy too, let's not get started about that. I'd be waiting for the dust to settle after the launch before anyone says anything about Sonys pixel policy, I've read places saying people have 54 dead pixels on a screen - firstly I don't believe this at all, and secondly if you can't return it to be replaced if it does there is something wrong with the way your retail sector works and I'm sorry to hear that.

22. risc macrumors 68030

risc

BTW - How come when I'm viewing the Playstation.com forum there are heaps of people saying "I had a dead pixel on mine I took it back to $STORENAME and they replaced it on the spot, you should do the same!" to people with dead pixels?

Correct me if I'm wrong _BUT_ you guys don't really think that these stores that are replacing the PSPs are just going to throw them out and put it down to lost revenue?

Am I missing something or is this thread just more anti-Sony FUD?

23. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

It doesn't matter if they are a big corportaton, the should atleast have resonible return policies. Nintendo does.

24. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Sony is doing this because they are already taking a hit with the pricing and can't afford to be giving free replacements.

25. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Just FYI, I just got my PSP today and it has 12 dead pixels. Ebgames refused to replace it because of Sony's policy... I called Sony, they said with that many it can be replaced, and EBgames is still giving me crap. I'm never buying from them again (or a first gen Sony system, should have learned my lesson by now).