Dead pixels on LCD--Any way to fix?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by sigamy, Jan 25, 2004.

1. sigamy macrumors 65816

I just got an old PowerBook. It has a 1" stripe of dead pixels all the way across the screen, about 1" from the top. I'm not a hardware guy at all so I'm wondering if there is any way to fix this? could there be a problem with a cable? Or are dead pixels a problem in the LCD itself?

Thanks for any help.

2. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

it sounds like a cable problem somewhere, don't know if it's easily fixed as it could be in several different places
    if you're really savy with laptops you could take it apart, but it'll be difficult getting hundreds of pieces and screws back together
    you could also try hitting it (my favorite solution to electronical problems) to see if you can possibly get the connection back (just don't wack it too hard)

3. bannedagain macrumors member

When pixels die, like people they can't be brought back to life.

4. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

1" of dead pixels defiantly qualifies for a replacement! If you got this from someone demand a new one, its expensive to fix those screens, and if it still has AppleCare use it now!

5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Something similar happened to a friend of mine on his 400MHz TiBook. An entire column of pixles just said "We don't wanna work anymore :p". It was replaced without question, but it was in warranty, so I don't know what you'll have to do.

6. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

Strangely enough, I had one dead pixel when I first got this powerbook. It's been mine for a little over a month, and since then... it's gone.

I don't know if it was just "stuck" and fixed itself, or if I've just become blind to it.

7. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says.....I may have just been "stuck" - try running something like Dead Pixel Identifier to see if it is really back to normal.....oh yeah!

8. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

the problem is most likely IN the LCD. and you need to get that thing replaced!

9. sigamy thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks all. No AppleCare issue here. This is an ancient PowerBook Duo 2300c that I picked up for $40 thru a swap email list.

Looks like it got damaged durning shipment, my seller says the LCD was perfect we he sent it.

I'm going to crack it open and see if what I can do.

10. ///mdriver macrumors member

DEAD PIXELS!!!

I have at least 6-7, maybe more, dead pixels all over my screen.

I am going to force apple to remedy the situation.

How long will I be without my computer?

11. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

6 or 7? They'll probably do it without question. As for how long, it depends on parts. If they have them, it'll be quick.