Dead Pixels on my 2 Month Old Powerbook (are these dead pixels???)

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by MrMan112, Apr 23, 2005.

1. MrMan112 macrumors member

Feb 4, 2005
    I never noticed dead pixels on my 15 inch powerbook until today.

I bought my PB in the begining of February (last rev) and I was on the lookout for dead pixels when I first got it after reading posts about them here.

Today I was watching a DVD when I noticed a red dead pixel. One thing led to another and I created a black desktop and counted somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 dead pixels. Maybe what I'm seeing are not dead pixels. I am seeing very small dots on my desktop of varying colors. Some are red, most are blue and there are a few gree ones.

What should I do?
  2. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Mar 30, 2004

Well first make sure the screen is 100% clean. This may seem obvious, but even the smallest dust particle can look like a dead pixel. Then use Screen Query to check for dead pixels, and tell us what you find.

If they remain: did anything happen to your LCD or its hinge recently?
  3. mfacey macrumors 65816

Feb 1, 2004
    I'm not quite sure what Apple's tolerance is, but if you did nothing to cause these dead pixels, it wouldn't surprise me if a count of 30 qualifies a repair/new screen under warranty. Do the test and if there are indeed that many go to an apple store or call apple (you're still within 90 days right?) and see what they say.
  4. MrMan112 thread starter macrumors member

Feb 4, 2005
    I just ran the utility, and while I wasn't able to see the dead pixels with the red yellow or green screen, they all showed up with the black!
  5. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Mar 30, 2004

Well in that case, you are WELL beyond Apple's dead-pixel tolerance policy, so take it in and get it replaced!
  6. MrMan112 thread starter macrumors member

Feb 4, 2005
    I went to the Apple store this morning and the lighting there was too bright for me or the guy working at the Genius Bar to see the dead pixels.

He kept telling me that if he couldn't see it, the technicians at the Apple depot would not be able to see it either. Pretty much... he said "we can't do anything for you."

After alot of convincing, I finally got him to take my Powerbook someplace dark. When he returned, his words were, "this is the first time I've seen a Powerbook with enough dead pixels to warrant a screen replacement." He gave me a Case # and when I can find some time to part with my Powerbook, I'll be sending it in to Apple! I wonder if this will do anything for me uneven lid.
  7. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

Apr 13, 2005
    My dear, get that thing fixed. Keep us posted!

my iMac has one stuck green pixel and of course when i asked the store they said, "one is acceptable". But the weird thing is the green stuck pixel comes and goes. some days it will be there other days it won't. go figure :confused: