Dead Pixels on Refurb.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by macbaseball, Apr 16, 2005.

1. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

Feb 27, 2005
    Northern California
    Would anyone recommend that purchasing a 23 inch display from Apple Refurbished. At first I thought there were dead pixels, but after thinking about it, I don't think Apple would sell a monitor with dead pixels since that isn't a big problem for them. Do anyone have an opinion.
  2. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

May 15, 2003
    San Francisco
    They sell new monitors with dead pixels, so why wouldn't they sell refurbs with them? In fact, I'd think there would be a higher chance of a refurb having dead pixels, since those are the monitors that would have a higher chance of being returned [for defects].
  3. jamdr macrumors 6502a

Jul 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    I agree. I would even expect a refurbished monitor to have dead pixels (not many, though). Why else would someone return a monitor? But buying a new monitor isn't a guarantee against dead pixels, either. So you could get them either way.

Hey, we're all from Norcal :cool:
  4. YS2003 macrumors 68020

Dec 24, 2004
    Finally I have arrived.....
    Buying LCD monitor is a gamble. So far, all of my notebook screens do not have dead pixels (thankg god); the 20" ACD does not have any dead pixels (thank god for that). But, my LG 23" LCD TV has 3 stuck pixels near the center of the screen (I can see them when the background is black).
  5. eleveneastgate macrumors 6502

Jan 23, 2005
    Dead Pixels...

... a friend & I were discussing LCDs (on Sony PSPs) and dead pixels just the other day. He then says that LCDs do not have the dead pixel issue resolved 100%, and getting 1 or 2 dead pixels is norm. He also tells me that unless there are more then 6-9 dead pixels, retailors are not required to give you an exchange --- Is this true?

I've had no problems with dead pixels on any of my Macs, new or refurb --- Give Thanks!
  6. DaveP macrumors 6502

Mar 18, 2005
    Getting manufacturers to replace LCD's because of dead pixels is generally a pain and usually requires a large number 6+ or a slightly lower number within a concentrated area. It does vary based on the manufacturer and they sometimes treat dead and stuck pixels differently. Before applying the trick below... we returned one to BestBuy that had a stuck pixel. We said we found a better deal accross town (which was also true). I haven't heard of having issues with retailers, but maybe a little dishonesty in the reason for return would be helpful..... (not that I'm recommending that....)

If possible I would recommend buying from an actual store rather than online. When my brother bought an LCD last year we brought my laptop into the store and the saleman let us pull the monitor out of the box and check for dead pixels right there. If that's an option it's quite convenient.