dead pixels

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by DJTJ, May 4, 2005.

1. DJTJ macrumors regular

May 3, 2005
    so I think if got my heart set on a 20 iMac. 1 small problem. Dead pixels drive me absoloutly CRAZY!! even one, it's my pet peeve. What are the chances of me getting a machine with a dead/stuck one?
    1 in 10? 1 in 100? any guesses, info on who has one that is good or bad would be much appreciated!
  2. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

Feb 27, 2005
    Northern California
    Not very good ... I've never heard of a dead pixel in a iMac.
  3. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Jan 26, 2005
    My 20" iMac doesn't have any, I think it's pretty uncommon.
  4. razorme macrumors regular

Jul 16, 2002
    Calgary, AB
    My 20" iMac doesn't have any dead/stuck pixels either. It's a great screen.
  5. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Mar 5, 2005
  6. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Mar 5, 2005
    iMac G4 17" - 1 Dead Pixel! AGGGGGGGGGGH!
    It's not enough to bother me to send it back (but with a little hasstle I recon I could have), i can only see it if i'm about <1' away, and it's on white (like most "dead" pixels, It's lacking in one/two major colors - mine still has green i think)
    1/100 I would say, but could be a lot more! (Like 1/1000)
    The newer screens are probably better too.:)
  7. Bobjob186 macrumors 6502

Apr 16, 2005
    Laguna Beach
    Call me Unlucky

Just went and Bought A BRAND spanking new imac g5 17 SD and guess what..... dead pixel top left corner, was so mad got up took it back got a new one so far so good.
  8. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Knock on wood, I never have had a dead pixel on any LCD display that I have owned. I think that it would drive me crazy if I did though.
  9. SLCentral macrumors regular

Jan 18, 2004
    Princeton, NJ/Ithaca, NY
    On my 30" ACD, I've got one green one in the middle-ish area. Can't even notice it, to tell you the truth, unless the background is black.
  10. csubear macrumors 6502a

Aug 22, 2003
    17" Imac: 0 dead
    20 ACD: 0 dead
    12" pb: 1 stuck sub pixel (green)
    old ibook 900mhz G3: 0 dead
    parents 17" Imac: 0 dead
    old 520c: 0 dead ;)
    guess i'm lucky
  11. yvovandoorn macrumors regular

May 2, 2005
    Renton (suburb of Seattle), WA

Is this a Rev A or B? If it is a B... you lucky SOB!!
  12. BKKloppenborg macrumors regular

May 2, 2005
    La Mesa, Ca
    lol same it does with me never had a probelm with any of my computers but my damn Smartphone Nokia 6620 has one and it drives me crazy.. :eek:
  13. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

May 18, 2003
    Only thing I've ever had problems with is my crap PSP... 12 dead pixels.

My friend just bought a 1.66 GHz 15" Powerbook and has one stuck pixel... not nearly as big of a problem as it use to be thought.

I'm anal and it would freak me out (I hate my PSP on account of it).
  14. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Dec 27, 2004
    Avon, IN
    Apple has been horrible with dead pixels for me. I have had 4 (thats right 4!) powerbooks with dead pixels. One of them was a custom build and I had to fight with them for weeks for them to take it back. They told me that ALL companies have a policy that at least 6-9 pixel must be dead for there to be a fault. However, when I called Dell they informed me that ONE dead pixel was considered a defect on their computer and monitors. I called Apple and told them this and they finally agreed to do an exchange. Horrible experience all around. Now I am looking at a new computer again and while I am very interested in a cutsom config 15" powerbook I may end up going with a powermac to avoid the pixel issue that had burned me so many times.
  15. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Aug 11, 2003
    I know what you're talking about. I recently ordered a Dell display and it had 2 dead pixels when it arrived. They promptly swapped it out for a new one and it has none. Apple on the other hand won't do that with their displays. They will only offer to let you return it and buy another (and pay a 10% restocking fee). Your best bet is avoid buying direct from Apple and instead buy from an authorized Apple reseller that has a liberal return policy if you're worried about dead pixels on an Apple product.