dead pixels

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by IchBinDru, Jun 2, 2004.

1. IchBinDru macrumors newbie

Jun 2, 2004
    Suppose someone has a 15" iMac G4. Suppose its LCD has a couple of dead pixels. Is it possible for someone to correct this problem without having to take the machine into an Apple repair place?
  2. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    depends if they are really dead or stuck

often stuck pixels become unstuck after use and or if they massaged

but bascially dead pixels cant be fixed

apple will replace it if you are over the threshold; but otherwise ur out of luck

next time please run a search on the topic before posting this has been covered a lot of times
  3. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

If you have AppleCare then you can have the screen replaced however Apple has a quite threshold for dead pixels, I think its about 6 and up. You can try and massage them but be careful because this can only make things worse.
  4. About2SwitchOvr macrumors regular

Mar 22, 2004
    6 is the threshold, but MASSAGING???

I picked up the 20" a couple weeks ago, and has one dead pixel right smack in the middle.
    They won't touch it unless I have 6 or more dead.

What is this about massaging? Is it just rubbing slightly over the pixel? Is there a way to tell if it's dead or just stuck?

I don't mean to sound so picky.. just stumbled across this thread and peaked my curiosity...
  5. janey macrumors 603

Dec 20, 2002
    sunny los angeles
    Bingo. Use a pencil eraser or something.
    Stuck pixels can be green/blue/black/white/red, while dead pixels are black no matter what.
    According to most display manufacturers, one dead LCD pixel is acceptable. Two is too...
    Several dead pixels, especially ones all in a cluster, are obviously signaling a defect in manufacturing.