dead pixels

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jsulens, Aug 23, 2004.

1. jsulens macrumors member

Jun 29, 2004
    i am ordering a new 12'' powerbook next week. i plan on purchasing my new mac from the apple store. this is the first laptop that i will own. i was wondering what is the best way to determine if you have any dead pixels. also, has anyone had any problems odering powerbooks from apple with dead or stuck pixels right out of the box. any advice or information would be great. thanks
  2. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    advice on stuck pixels:

1) don't look for them
    2) if you want to look for them, ask yourself the question: do i really want to know?
    3) ask again
    4) if you still insist, go to and there are many utilities to turn the screen into basic colors so you can check

apart from getting hold of a very generous store employee, there's no way to make sure that your PB has no stuck/dead pixels. if you buy it new, open the box and the number of stuck pixels do not go beyond what's considered "normal" by apple, you cannot return it without paying the 20% re-stocking fee.

also, since federal regulations prohibit any new box opened being re-sold as "new," most stores will not let you open up the box to look. unless you want to buy the store-demo machines that has no stuck pixels, you really don't have a way to take a look before you buy. you can only look once you buy because the second it's opened, i can only be re-sold as a refurb.

we can debate all we want whether this situation is fair or not. it's the fact of life at this moment.

lastly, just don't look for them. they are usually hardly noticeable, especially if you don't know where they are.
  3. nfocus design macrumors regular

nfocus design

Aug 3, 2004
  4. noahsnyc macrumors regular

Sep 27, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Dead Pixel Support Group

Hello -

I was recently the recipient of a pleasant new iBook G4 with a single stuck blue pixel in the lower left hand corner.

I was extremely perturbed by it and was told that it was totally acceptable.

Well, I wrote a nice little letter to Apple Corporate and they very generously offered me a bit of a "consolation prize".

The single stuck pixel is barely an annoyance, really only because I know it's there. Still, Apple stepped up to the plate, and I really think that it could be a useful channel for those with three or four "acceptable" (and much more serious) pixels.

Also, they'll include a stuck or dead pixel with AppleCare, if you choose to lay down that cash.

5. jsulens thread starter macrumors member

Jun 29, 2004
    thanks for all the quick responses. hopefully i wont have any, and if i do have one, i dont notice it. noahsnyc, what was the "consolation prize" that apple gave you.
  6. noahsnyc macrumors regular

Sep 27, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I'd feel a little funky if I told, but it was very generous. It's true, you can't write your Congress person anymore, but you can write Corporate America.

All in all, I think a lot of it had to do with being a life-long (literally, I'm 20) Apple customer, and having been through two iBooks that never quite worked properly.

It was a great incentive to keep a long paper-trail, always get names and extensions of reps., and learn to write a sentimental, well-versed and spoken letter.