Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you think apple should repair or replace the faulty OLED or Watch?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Beiron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2015
I liked the Watch in spite of current limitations and was happily using it for notiifcations mainly, music remote and tested the Activity Tracker with a Polar H7 heart monitor strap. For activity tracking including sleep, the Watch didn't do better than my Polar Loop. Yet, its sheer beauty by itself in terms of design felt good to wear. Until exactly one week into use, a dead spot appeared onscreen, and immediately (within the hour) I sent it in for assessment.
Apple refused to replace the OLED and had their third party service centre ask me to buy a replacement watch. Imagine if I had an Edition instead of Steel! If one has failed like that, why replace with another? It seems, they say, the fault was caused by 'hard pressure to the screen'. Odd. I've used every iPhone and iPad iteration, the MBPwRD 2012 and brand new MacBook 2015... and never have I hard pressed any of these contact surfaces. Now, I'm stranded minus Watch and feeling very annoyed at the accusations. This in spite of Singapore's new 2014 consumer protection laws similar to Australia and the UK, and I feel very disappointed with how they want to do business with early adopters and brand loyal users. That is a genuine let down.

To be fair, after reaching out to Apple Customer Service, this is being followed up in the US, and they have been terrific in looking into this (now unresolved) issue.

I believe there was a minor inherent flaw in the OLED and my regular use either aggravated it or caused the fault to appear. I hope it gets resolved.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 2,650
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 738
Last edited:
Reactions: JD92

Beiron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2015
Must be a byproduct of UK customer laws, as Apple would've replaced it without questions here in the U.S.

The consumer protection laws would have placed the onus on the retailer and manufacturer to replace or refund the product without question and these laws now apply in Australia, UK and Singapore. I think the third party service centre (QCD Technology) may not be playing fair, actually. But they claim that the decision was Apple's, neither to repair nor replace. That's where I have broader concerns with, over and above the prospect of hardware quality control with LG for this piece. Second, if the OLED and Sapphire is fused and hard to replace, it will affect many more owners in time to come.

ogun7

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2001
I would write an email to Apple directly describing your experience. It's probably the third party center's unfamiliarity with the Apple Watch that's causing them to blow you off. That said, here in NJ, when I had a problem with my SSLB Taptic Engine, the Genius verified there was a problem and was going to send the watch back to Apple for repair. It wasn't until I suggested they make an exchange (the watch was not a week old) that they gave me a new one.

Reactions: Beiron

Mac2me

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2015
Saw and read your other post on this. Glad to see that you didn't drop it with the 3rd party service center you were directed to for service (Singapore I'm guessing) and are working directly with Apple Care now. I'd rather hear it directly from Apple than the service center and if it wasn't properly handled then Apple would want to know that too.

Showed your video to my husband and he also thought it looked more like a water intrusion issue from your shower but again just a guess. I didn't realize that you had only had the watch a week not that it really matters to the issue at hand if it's an issue with the water seal.

Stuff happens but how it gets corrected is equally important. Keep us updated on how it is resolved.

Beiron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2015
Thank you, folks. It's strangely comforting to at least read and gather insights, agreeable or not, and I do very much appreciate all yours above. While I must miss having the Watch to play with (now longer than I have owned it), I have left it in the good hands of the engineers to review, but notwithstanding that, I intend to exercise my statutory rights according to the laws of Singapore on sale of goods. The only problem I foresee is exactly what QCD Technology - the third party service centre in Singapore - knows, that if Apple insists from their expert evaluation that it was definitely caused by some action of mine, then that might limit of weaken my claim for replacement. On the other hand, I can take it to the "small claims court" on the basis that there is no evidence unusual force was wilfully inflicted on the watch. This is because, the law in Singapore assumes in favour of the consumer, who wants satisfaction from the goods, as I do. I am not dissatisfied with the Watch (I still want it), but an dissatisfied with what I believe to be the quality of the Watch to stand up to my regular and normal use, because I have absolutely no recollection since unboxing of an abnormal or unusual force on the Watch screen, so any fault, would have had to be from an inherent pre-existing weakness. But all that said, maybe, Apple would love to see this early adopter and major user of their brand products frustrated for the sheer sadistic pleasure of it. Well. Will keep you'll posted. I honestly wonder what if I had bought the 18kt Edition Watch and this happened....

clint-bell

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2015
I liked the Watch in spite of current limitations and was happily using it for notiifcations mainly, music remote and tested the Activity Tracker with a Polar H7 heart monitor strap. For activity tracking including sleep, the Watch didn't do better than my Polar Loop. Yet, its sheer beauty by itself in terms of design felt good to wear. Until exactly one week into use, a dead spot appeared onscreen, and immediately (within the hour) I sent it in for assessment.
Apple refused to replace the OLED and had their third party service centre ask me to buy a replacement watch. Imagine if I had an Edition instead of Steel! If one has failed like that, why replace with another? It seems, they say, the fault was caused by 'hard pressure to the screen'. Odd. I've used every iPhone and iPad iteration, the MBPwRD 2012 and brand new MacBook 2015... and never have I hard pressed any of these contact surfaces. Now, I'm stranded minus Watch and feeling very annoyed at the accusations. This in spite of Singapore's new 2014 consumer protection laws similar to Australia and the UK, and I feel very disappointed with how they want to do business with early adopters and brand loyal users. That is a genuine let down.

To be fair, after reaching out to Apple Customer Service, this is being followed up in the US, and they have been terrific in looking into this (now unresolved) issue.

I believe there was a minor inherent flaw in the OLED and my regular use either aggravated it or caused the fault to appear. I hope it gets resolved.

Hopefully you get it fixed and returned to you soon. I've been using my watch for a while now and find it's hard to be away from it for too long at a time.

Beiron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2015
Hopefully you get it fixed and returned to you soon. I've been using my watch for a while now and find it's hard to be away from it for too long at a time.

Thank you, Clint. Oddly, perhaps, I miss it - whether it's just toying with it or using its nusic remote or hooking up my Polar H7 with it to boost my Activity Tracking accuracy. It's almost two weeks since and no doubt I don't expect Apple's customer care outside the USA to be of reasonably the same standard. We may br connected glibally by language and technology but few international companies can say they've succeded in after-sales care without a presence at the ground. Singapore is after all, an insignificantly small market lost in the middle of the equator south of Asia. LOL.

Beiron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2015

Exactly three weeks to the date (18 July to 13 August), QCD Technology called to inform me that Apple USA has issued a ticket for the replacement of the faulty Apple Watch and this has been ordered. The replacement watch arrived in its slim packaging and I was able to get it set up and restored in just minutes. Feel 'complete'. But questions about the double standards in warranty by Genius Bar at Apple Stores versus third party service providers who earn money from sales and defects may lead to disparity in how the same faults are handled. https://instagram.com/p/6UX73KljrL/

Beiron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2015
No doubt it is water getting to the OLED screen. Apple will either replace or repair, it is their choice according to the warranty.

Thank you, all, for commebts etc. Exactly three weeks to the date (18 July to 13 August), QCD Technology called to inform me that Apple USA has issued a ticket for the replacement of the faulty Apple Watch and this has been ordered. The replacement watch arrived in its slim packaging and I was able to get it set up and restored in just minutes. Feel 'complete'. But questions about the double standards in warranty by Genius Bar at Apple Stores versus third party service providers who earn money from sales and defects may lead to disparity in how the same faults are handled. https://instagram.com/p/6UX73KljrL/

Beiron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2015
Thank
Saw and read your other post on this. Glad to see that you didn't drop it with the 3rd party service center you were directed to for service (Singapore I'm guessing) and are working directly with Apple Care now. I'd rather hear it directly from Apple than the service center and if it wasn't properly handled then Apple would want to know that too.

Showed your video to my husband and he also thought it looked more like a water intrusion issue from your shower but again just a guess. I didn't realize that you had only had the watch a week not that it really matters to the issue at hand if it's an issue with the water seal.

Stuff happens but how it gets corrected is equally important. Keep us updated on how it is resolved.

Thank you.... Exactly three weeks to the date (18 July to 13 August), QCD Technology called to inform me that Apple USA has issued a ticket for the replacement of the faulty Apple Watch and this has been ordered. The replacement watch arrived in its slim packaging and I was able to get it set up and restored in just minutes. Feel 'complete'. But questions about the double standards in warranty by Genius Bar at Apple Stores versus third party service providers who earn money from sales and defects may lead to disparity in how the same faults are handled. https://instagram.com/p/6UX73KljrL/

Beiron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2015
Must be a byproduct of UK customer laws, as Apple would've replaced it without questions here in the U.S.

Exactly three weeks to the date (18 July to 13 August), QCD Technology called to inform me that Apple USA has issued a ticket for the replacement of the faulty Apple Watch and this has been ordered. The replacement watch arrived in its slim packaging and I was able to get it set up and restored in just minutes. Feel 'complete'. But questions about the double standards in warranty by Genius Bar at Apple Stores versus third party service providers who earn money from sales and defects may lead to disparity in how the same faults are handled. https://instagram.com/p/6UX73KljrL/

Thank you.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Thank you, all, for commebts etc. Exactly three weeks to the date (18 July to 13 August), QCD Technology called to inform me that Apple USA has issued a ticket for the replacement of the faulty Apple Watch and this has been ordered. The replacement watch arrived in its slim packaging and I was able to get it set up and restored in just minutes. Feel 'complete'. But questions about the double standards in warranty by Genius Bar at Apple Stores versus third party service providers who earn money from sales and defects may lead to disparity in how the same faults are handled. https://instagram.com/p/6UX73KljrL/

I am glad that Apple replaced it. I am sorry it took so long.

s0nicpr0s

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2010
Illinois
Hi Beiron, I'm glad to hear that you received your new watch and have gotten it set back up to your liking.

Seeing that you're still a newer user, I just wanted to let you know that you can quote multiple people at once to save multiple posts of similar content. You just need to hit the reply button on the extra messages you'd like to include and it'll add them in to your reply.

clint-bell

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2015

That's great news :)

Glad you got it sorted in the end despite the inconsistent level of after sales care - it is true, no company regardless of the size, can be everywhere and replicate the same level of service through 3rd party contracts. However look at the silver lining - you have the watch back!

Sorry for the late reply btw, I've been on vacation for a couple of weeks :cool:

Nell

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
London
Glad to hear Apple replaced your watch. I suspect there's always likely to be an issue when you're dealing with a third party service centre rather than Apple itself.

Beiron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2015
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/black-spot-on-screen.1925245/

Just found your thread.

I had the EXACT issue in the EXACT same spot.

My watch took about 12 days turnaround after being accepted immediately at the Genius Bar of my local Apple Store.

Zero hassle and no insinuation that I may have cause the defect.

That is terrific to hear, Steve686 . Sure, we do want Apple to get a good grip on gripes from around the world where its business is equally important, and that means all the folks who support the customer service experience. I have no doubt that the Genius Bar is some great and simple reason for small but strategic markets like "Singapore" (where I am) to have an Apple Store, but territory rights for distribution with Australia/Hong Kong has prevented this, and so we only have Apple Premium Retailers and third-party service centres. Perhaps, Apple is just waiting for those territory rights to expire. But meanwhile, we're all glad to hear that this "dead mass" / "black spot" issue is being well handled by Apple Customer Service online, as I have been contacted since by other individuals from South Africa, Netherlands, Canada and such via Instagram and YouTube. I couldn't be more pleased with how Apple has dealt with this, except that in my case, it took perseverance.

Thank you for sharing.

Reactions: Steve686

Koenan32

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2015
I also have blackspot on the Samé palace als the other watches, the glas is not broken And stil they say there was to match pressior on the screen. They Will not repair it in warranty

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.