Dead SuperDrive, but do I have to get another Pioneer DVR?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by macphoria, May 19, 2005.

1. macphoria macrumors 6502a

macphoria

I have a question. I have QuickSilver Power Mac and its SuperDrive has been replaced number of times.

Original DVR-103 lasted about year and a half, then died.

Its replacement, Pioneer DVR-105, lasted about year and died.

Then its replacement, Pioneer DVR-108, lasted less than a year and died.

Needless to say, I'm somewhat disappointed with Pioneer product and I'm wondering if there is another brand that I can replace it with and still maintain iTune & iDVD compatibility. Does anyone have a recommendation?

2. macphoria thread starter macrumors 6502a

macphoria

Tried compressed air and lens cleaner but no go.

Thanks for the tip, sneckner. But I tried compressed air and lens cleaner and it still does not work. Thanks anyway though.

Has anyone tried alternative to Pioneer DVR that you can recommend?

Dynex, HP, Memorex, Sony, Hi-Val, Plextor, Lite-On, I/O Magic, Toshiba? I don't care about the brand name, as long as it works and lasts more than a year.

3. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

You must be doing some intensive burning if your drives have such a short life, I would stick to a pioneer because they are bootable, but if you have the money try a lacie internal they are very good,

SHadow

4. macphoria thread starter macrumors 6502a

macphoria

I guess I would have to go with Pioneer again if I want to ensure my Mac can boot from the drive. Thanks Shadowmoses.

5. illustratorDavi macrumors 6502

Hi

I usually check xlr8yourmac - there are usually loads of reviews from users that tell you which drives work.

David

6. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

Any Superdrive + Patchburn should work just fine. I personally am using a NEC DVD burner in my eMac and its worked great for well over a year now. They are very cheap (under $50 now!) and work great. There is no real reason to stick to pioneers.