Deadline screws me again... wtf?

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by Vlade, Mar 15, 2004.

1. Vlade macrumors 6502a

Vlade

A while back I lost a work unit that was at 98% complete, and today I just lost one at 91%... WTF?!? Isn't there something in the scripts that ignores deadlines? That was a 71 point tinker that was on my computer for about a month folding and folding and folding along very slowly, and when I was just about to get points for it, it just decided to quit on me...

Is this fixed in the v4 version of the script? If so I will update and cancel my new WU.

PHP:
    [02:45:36Loaded queue successfully.
    [
    02:45:36] + Benchmarking ...
    [
    02:45:56Unit 4's deadline (March 15 20:22) has passed.
    [02:45:59] + Attempting to get work packet
    [02:45:59] - Connecting to assignment server

2. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

your problem really has little to do with the scripts and more with stanford i think. with the new scripts, there is a subtle change.

with version 3, all options were set for the user

with version 4, during initial setup, a new -configonly switch is used
    this makes possible setting advanced options and such if the user desires

i think there is an option to igonre deadlines, so that u will still get points. there is also an option about checkpoints

i think stanfords system overall is poor-- i have had issues with work not being sent in or recieved properly, on more than one occasion recently

3. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Ouch that sucks...

foldind is very odd...

They post saying that you can submit your work after the deadline but it will not count towards the project, but WILL count towards your points... and then they do crap like that...

Thats VERY annoying.

4. Plutronics macrumors member

Hey!
    Actually there are two deadlines
    If you don't finish and turn in by the first deadline , Stanford will reissue that WU to someone else. you will still get full points for turn in after the first deadline.
    After the second deadline , Stanford will not accept the WU , It does them no good , and you won't get any points. that is why the client deletes the WU. Ignoring the deadline won't help , you'll be able to finish the WU , but it will just be more wasted effort.
    You can use qd to figure finish time after you have completed a few % and if it won't finish by the deadline , you might as well delete that sTinker , else you will waste the effort.
    Larry

5. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Tried deleting a tinker once, got the same tinker back... did this a couple of times, every time the same tinker back. So that 's not gonna help. After finishing it I got gromacs once again! Vlade - just turn your mac on for a couple of days, 24/7 and finish your WU in time! I run my Mac 24/7 just for folding. Come on guys don't let this get your spirites down, keep up the good work!

6. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

He seemed to have passed the First Deadline... His profile says 700 MHZ machine... that would never pass the 2ed deadline...

Standford screwed up there... damn their huge ass tinkers...