Deadlines for folding

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by MacFan26, Jul 7, 2003.

1. macrumors 65816

MacFan26

I know that if you don't finish by the deadline date Standford won't be able to use it for the project, so I was wondering if there was any point in helping with the project if our computer isn't fast enough to finish by the deadline?

2. macrumors 6502a

Depends.... stanford can't use the results, but if your folding to be part of Mac Rumors team folding, then we still get the points towards our total to move p the rankings and fight off the knights that say ni! I'm in the same vote...my computer misses the deadline by about a month or so each time :(

3. macrumors 6502

NNO-Stephen

I got a pretty large deadline for my current WU... 50 days... from about five or six ago... it's half done...

what kinda computers you guys trying to run?

4. macrumors 6502a

I'm just running a p1 200.....its all i got :( its slow as hell but at least its something. been folding since he beginning of this year and only have 7 units done

5. macrumors 6502

NNO-Stephen

:) keep chuggin away! at least you try

6. macrumors 6502a

just wait till i get that 9900 25 ghz in 2008...or failing that a 2 gig duelie ;) if i ever get a job...

7. macrumors 65816

MacFan26

Thanks for your replies :)
    I'm running a PowerBook G3, 333, so I probably won't be able to finish by my deadline either, but I'll be getting a new laptop hopefully in a month or two, so that should be helpful.

8. macrumors member

Im donating my DP800 to the team...

I was going to sell it when my DP2 G5 arrives but Im gonna keep the G4 in a closet to fold :)

Im also scouring work to find all the suitable Macs to help in the effort...

The more the better I say...keep folding!

9. macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

I just started folding on July 1st for the MacRumors team and so far I have contributed 17 WUs (706 points). I am using my three P4 2GHz machines. I don't have a Mac yet, but I will be getting an updated 12" PowerBook (hopefully 1GHz), and a G5 XServe when they become available.

I see how many points I have contributed in the past week and the number of team members we have folding, and I think that our output should be much, much higher. I wish we could convice all of the team member to start up their folding clients and donate their CPU cycles to a good cause.

Maybe a link on the main page to the folding site would help. Possibly, a folding team theme song.

Everyone start folding!

Hickman

10. macrumors 6502a

Vlade

/me cries.

My production is SO SO SO SLOW compared to that with my G4 733 MHZ machine... :(