Deaf/hard of hearing members?

Discussion in 'Community' started by MacCoaster, Apr 3, 2005.

1. MacCoaster macrumors 6502a

MacCoaster

Washington, DC / Rochester, NY / Lexington, NC
    I remember that ASL thread in which I participated, but I was just curious how many people, besides myself, are deaf or hard of hearing on these forums, oral or "Deaf" with capital D.

I know there are quite a few deaf people who are Mac users--many do here at the Rochester Institute of Technology. I was surprised to see the number of Mac users here, more than I expected. :)

I was born profoundly deaf but implanted with the cochlear implant (me wearing mine) at a very early age (even before FDA approved it for implantation in children).

Just curious. :)

2. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I'm a regular MacRumours reader and I'm Deaf too - a BSL signer (British Sign Lanuage [which is very different from ASL {Americian Sign Language}])

I prefer not to use any kind of assistive hearing tech whatsoever, but each to their own - whatever rocks your boat.

There is a large Deaf Mac community on the brit Deaf Technology list, and also the Centre for Deaf Studies at Bristol University (my old university) has just outfitted a room full of apple macs for

1. doing video based sign language linguisitics/ analysis work (suprisingly complex)

2. enabling Deaf students / postgrads (and hearing students who prefer using BSL - there are a few :) to do term papers, essays and dissertations in BSL. (could be any topic- maths, science, even English)

3. enabling students on interpreter training courses or taking higher level BSL qualifications to prepare/ analyse videos of themselves signing/interpreting or partipicating in group discourse.

4. enable lower level students of BSL to use computer based BSL teaching materials.

Cheers

RedTomato 15'' 1.5GHZ PB

3. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I have a 50% loss in both ears. I wear hearing aids (in the ear) and have done so since I was 19. I don't sign, one of those things I've always wanted to learn but have never gotten around to.

Other than older relatives, I don't know anyone who is deaf or profoundly hard of hearing. My loss occurred at age 11 and I went without hearing aids til I went to University where they became necessary.

Recently there was an article about scientists discovering the gene and its on off switch for the nerve hairs in the cochlea. They've successfully switched it on and off in mice and there's hope that at some point they will be able to do so with humans as well. I'm over 40 now so I'm not sure if it is something I would want to have done. If I was younger, definitely but I've been around my relatives enough to know that the older one gets the less likely one is to adapt to hearing aids. I can't imagine what it would be like to have twice as much sound coming in.

4. tangerineyum macrumors 6502

While I am not deaf or hard of hearing, I opted to learn ASL in HS instead of spanish because I am already a spanish speaker. I was able to continue learning 2 years after i graduated, and met regularly with others learning ASL. I have since stopped learning but I live very close to a large deaf community (Riverside, CA) and find that it is very useful in my day to day life. It's also fun to bust those who pretend to be deaf and ask you to buy those sticker packs from them. So as semi linguist, I have all bases covered, the top 3 languages used in the US are 1. English 2. Spanish 3. ASL. Cool beans.

5. MacCoaster thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacCoaster

Washington, DC / Rochester, NY / Lexington, NC
    Thanks for the responses...

I know BSL for a, e, i, o and u. :) BSL looks too weird to me, but I still want to learn it. I love traveling and I want to go to London again and check out the Deaf community there. :)
    I didn't choose to be implanted with my cochlear implant. I wore it from 1989 to 1997 then I quit because of various reasons: 1.) I hated my audiologist. 2.) I was doing fine in school with an interpreter. I have just recently (February of this year) chose to go back to wearing my cochlear implant. Been enjoying it so far.
    1. Whoa, sweet. :) I'm interested in that video based linguistics work. What is it trying to figure out?

2. That'd be tough, doing term papers and stuff like that in sign language. I don't think I can sit there for 3 hours signing my stuff. I prefer writing, but that's cool to know you guys are working on something new!

3. Qualifications are always great to have. I remember having one or two lousy interpreters. I'm lucky to be at the Rochester Institute of Technology, they have a great support service for deaf people, so excellent interpreters and notetakers.

4. I have a friend who's a graduate student (deaf and a Mac user as well! :)). He's working on software to improve people's fingerspell reading skills. Helped him out by being a voice model (as a deaf voice) and hand model (as a native ASL signer). It's been a lot of fun. Technology is great, isn't it.
    Cheers to you, thanks for participating.
    Have you looked at any local deaf centres? My home has a group of deaf people and hearing people who are interested in ASL who meet regularly and have conversations just so we all can practice ASL.
    Age 11? Do you have any idea how it occurred?
    Yeah, I know! That's great research. They also did it in guinea pigs. I'm predicting within 5 or 10 years they'll have done it for humans. I'm not sure if cochlear implantion destroy the chance of gene therapy for the implanted ear, but I might restore my right ear. I don't know. Sometimes it's just great being an implanted deaf. I can turn off my cochlear implant at any time if I feel like it.
    Que bueno! :) That's awesome to hear. I'm also a linguist at heart, being able to read and write French and Spanish in addition to speaking English and signing ASL. I want to speak French and Spanish at some point, with heavy training.

I'll have to remember the town name (Riverside) next time I visit California. That's near Los Angeles, right? Maybe this summer if I can get away from a visit to San Francisco. I hear San Francisco has a large deaf population as well (I've got friends here at RIT from San Jose, close enough to SF. :))

So any other deaf people lurking around? :)

6. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Interesting thread. I'm not deaf or hard of hearing, but I so much prefer silence. Since I'm most productive between the hours of 11pm - 6am, I normally sleep in the morning and wake in the afternoon. And since I live in a busy area, quiet is very precious for me. I sleep with ear buds and it cuts out 99% percent of noise. I can hear my own heart beating and I tend to sleep much much better in complete silence.