Deal Alert: 20.1" Viewsonic monitor $279.99

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by adk, May 1, 2006.

1. adk macrumors 68000

adk

2. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

$280 seems like a steal of a deal on a 20" LCD. Anyone have this particular model or know about how good of a monitor it is.

I was going to buy a Dell 20" widescreen LCD, but at this price, the Viewsonic is hard to pass up. Any advice? :)

3. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

From what i've been reading, its one of the best 20" LCD's available - far better than the Dell 2005 or 2007 (which suffers from serious banding issues). This is an insane deal.

4. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Interesting. It lists different native resolutions based on OS. It says it is 1680x1054 (Windows)/1680x1050 (Mac). Ideas?

5. Philberttheduck macrumors 6502a

Philberttheduck

wow.. i'm tempted to buy it. although my rebates NEVER come back to me in time (i get at most 10 days to cash it in). viewsonic's are generally really expensive. i'd snatch that up in a jiffy if i were looking for extra monitors, but i have about 3 15inch LCDs just waiting to be put in use.

and JR is actually a reliable/not-fake retailer.

6. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

Yup; I just received the monitor.

It's very good. Very good color, very simple design, very good price...

Um...it's better than my old Dell 19" widescreen, by far. The resolution is a lot higher, anyway, and that has made quite the difference.

Any other questions...?

7. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

Hehe, look what I did. So yeah, if anyone would rather have two 17" monitors than this, check my thread!

Linkaroo

8. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

This monitor is looking like a better deal all the time. :) Thanks for the input everyone, especially AvSRoCkCO1067.

One more question, how does it do on gaming? Any blurring/ghosting of images?

It looks like I just might have to whip my credit card out..... :)

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Bummer that it doesn't have a video input. :( I'd snatch it right up.

10. i4k20c macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

gosh i really have been wanting this monitor, but i can't afford it right now. I'm not even sure if its wise to get a 20" lcd for college.. i think altho this looks much nicer and such, id be better of with a 19 inch lcd from dell or something.. seems to be more space effective.. not like i really need that much space. :(

11. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

You might not need it, but you know that you want it. ;) :)

12. i4k20c macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

i do, i think it looks just simply beatiful next to a 12inch powerbook! :eek: Problem is, even if i wanted it, i'd atleast need to wait 2 weeks to pay off my CC and charge it on there, i am somewhat close to the spending limit...and although i am 95% sure i have a job lined up this summer.. not willing to take the chance, parents would litterly KILL Me lol if i spent that and than had no job!

If i had a job right now, you can guarantee that i would've purchased that monitor without even looking at this thread and just clicking on the link! But, just in case i don't get the job, i have to make sure i have enough money until i do you kno?

Being a poor college student sucks! :eek:

13. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I understand your dilemma; being a college student makes it hard to purchase things like this. The only reason I am considering buying is because I have a job that I work year round at (less hours during college of course) so I have afford to buy this monitor. :)

The only thing that has me worried about buying it is that one of the reviews on the web said there were problems with light bleeding from the screen around the corners of the LCD. Anyone know if this is a problem with this display or not? I hate to pass up this deal, but I don't want a faulty monitor or one that is not enjoyable to use.

14. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

Nope...the display really is gorgeous; my MacBook Pro's screen looks cheap next to it!!! :eek:

I haven't tried any games on it; I don't really own any games...I've heard it's alright for those. The only things it lacks is customization (I have yet to figure out how to adjust the brightness...it is so damn bright!!!) and inputs (it only allows VGA or DVI inputs, although it comes with both those cables). It also has speakers (in the back - which is terrific, because the aesthetics wouldn't be so good otherwise), but I haven't tried those out either, as I have a pair of soundsticks.

Is there any decent way to test for bleeding? If there is, I'd be glad to do it for you. But right now, with the monitor on, I can't see anything in the corners that is out of the ordinary...??? :)

15. i4k20c macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

If this is still on sale a month from now (which i doubt, but a guy can dream :p ) i will purchase it if everything goes to plan. As far as the bleeding, i do not know to many people with the monitor that can attest to that, but i know that even the Dell's have a little bit bleeding, here and there.. but the nice thing is that i think Viewsonic offers a 3 year warrenty with this monitor.. which is pretty lenghty imo, so that should somewhat calm your nerves.

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Does anyone know if this pivots on its base like the Dells do?

17. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

I'm still holding out for someone to buy this and then swap with me. I could also throw in an original Palm Zire and a retail copy of 10.3. Perhaps an original airport base station (with ethernet and modem). Anyone, anyone at all? What would I have to do? :D

18. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

Here's another one.

$300 shipped after $40 rebate. BenQ this time. People seem to like it. Now if only someone would want my monitors so I could bump up to 20"...

19. tonyl macrumors 6502

I heard Viewsonic rebate is not good. Anyone deal with them?

20. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

Is this height adjustable? Could I get it to the same height as my 20" iMac?

Does anyone want to ship one to the UK? :p

21. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

I'm fairly sure neither of these displays are height-adjustable. Many of the Dell monitors are, though. For the right price, I would be willing to keep my eyes peeled for the best deal on one of those for you, buy it, and ship it to ya. Would be just as much as you getting one over there, though, once you added in the shipping. Alas. :eek:

22. Acehigh macrumors 6502

Isnt it a J&R rebate?

23. Acehigh macrumors 6502

Never mind it for J&R and Computer world...

Anybody have a link for the computer world site. maybe i can save tax

24. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

It is a rebate for J&R customers, but it's a manufacturer's rebate (if that makes sense).

25. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

May not be.. I do live in rip off Britain.. I may take you up on that offer.. I'll see - work it out. :) Thanks, I may be in touch... :eek: