Deal in Congress to Keep Tax Cuts, Widening Deficit

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Sep 22, 2004.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

2. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

this just says to me that the system doesn't work and politicians really have got their priorities wrong.

3. wwworry macrumors regular

If our political dialog were able to extend beyond 15 seconds then there is no way we would have this sort of thing. Tell people this extention means more debt that we have to pay interest on. Tell them it will mean cuts in specific services. In short, tell them the truth.

It's so cynical that these people are mortaging our future because they are too afraid to tell people the truth and too afraid to lose their job. Some other liar will come along and spin responsibility into hatred.

4. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

sad also is:
    - allowing a tax cut sunset to expire is equal to raising taxes
    - raising a tax, even when needed, has become political death

shame on the GOP for setting that agenda and shame on the voters for being so single-minded.

5. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I read somewhere (can't remember where) that the real neocon agenda is to cut taxes so sharply that eventually we'd have no choice but to cut government programs, to DRASTICALLY trim down the size of government. HUGE cuts in everything from Social Security to Medicare to highways to schools, with the idea of eventually privatizing almost everything.

6. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

because it's political suicide to take away people's social program, the agenda, i believe, is indeed to starve them of funding.

i'm not sure the strategy is limited to neocons.

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Hmmm. What a good reason to have a perpetual, unwinnable war.

8. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

It sounds like most of these people are bowing to there electorate. Wow imagine that, having to vote for something cause the people at home want it, not because you know better.
    So these pro-tax politicans (d & r) will have to follow their own thought, or that of the ones who elected them (which is why they are there to begin with). If they truely believe they need to vote for higher taxes they should run on that platform next go'round.

9. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

We have a new category of politician here. Instead of the traditional "tax & spend liberal" we now have the "spend and spend conservative."

At least the former is fiscally responsible in their profligacy.

10. wwworry macrumors regular

there are countries that tax a lot and get great services like health care, free college educations and subsidized housing

there are countries that do not tax very much and the services are poor

a lot of both of these countries are deficit free

then there is the US that taxes a lot and the services are poor. That allows us to be a "beacon of freedom" because our military kicks ass. :confused:

11. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i misread that as "bacon of freedom" ... doh ... i should eat something before reading on macrumours...

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk