Deal or no deal on ram?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by needlnerdz, Jun 23, 2006.

1. needlnerdz macrumors regular

needlnerdz

http://shop4.outpost.com/product/4465146

- 1GB sticks of Kingston ram for $69.99 (one per house) - free shipping, damn sales tax for CA.. nevertheless, can anyone tell me if this is very high quality RAM? I had heard that kingston started producing cheaper 'value' ram.. still trying to research if it's their higher line.. but any knowledge would be most appreciated.

2. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

What is it going in? The new Intel machines use PC5300 (DDR2 667) RAM.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

This is the cheaper Kingston ValueRAM -- look at the part number KVR-xxxx If it were their Apple RAM it would be KTA-xxxxx. It is also the 533 MHz module, which only fits the Powerbook G4 HD screen/DL Superdrive model and no other. And Kingston specifically disclaims any guarantee of Mac compatibility.

4. needlnerdz thread starter macrumors regular

needlnerdz

Doh.. failed to note the 4200 vs 5300 (good to know now) - still ram shopping for a macbook.... someday I'll find that premium ram, for a premium price..riight - the g.link is looking pretty good at newegg, just I'm a bit concerned of the fact people have only been trying it for <month - so how well will it really hold up (though it does have a lifetime warranty). There are just tooo many damn options...

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

I recommend that you look at Crucial (premium price), OWC or Data Memory Systems. That way you get RAM that is guaranteed to be right.

6. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

Ditto. Crucial or DataMem are the way to go. I've had great experience with both.

7. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

8. helduck macrumors newbie

is this good ram?

i have a g4 powerbook using this exact ram. 200 pin so dimm pc 4200 ddr 2 533. i'm worried its too good to be true at 70 bucks a pop for a 1 gig stick. any suggestions or should i keep looking?

9. CrEsTo macrumors 6502

CrEsTo

Just bought 1GB from Data Memory Systems and its working perfect.