Deal or No Deal

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mlw1235, Dec 19, 2005.

1. mlw1235 macrumors 6502

Did you (Americans) watch this tonight?

That lady was so stupid for waiting that long to back out.
    Different kind of show though, I will most definitely be watching tomorrow!

;)

2. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

Yeah I caught it somewhere in the middle, not sure where. I think I would have stopped at 77 grand, but to go all the way to 138 grand and still go for? Geez. I bet her husband is sooo busted after telling her to (a) keep going and (b) that they had some "good" feeling about number 8. Haha, bum. :)

3. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I love Deal or No Deal. We've had it here in Australia for over a year now. Did you guys only just get it?

4. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

Yes I watched it...meh, a neat concept I guess. But pretty cheesy with the mysterios banker and the suspenseful commercial breaks. I guess it's slightly more amusing then eating kangaroo testicles or hooking a car battery up to your nipples, but I'd say this show is typical bottom of the barrel crap.

5. mlw1235 thread starter macrumors 6502

It debuted tonight in the US. The concept is original, but as some others have mentioned, the commericial breaks and such really take away from the game.

Personally, I enjoyed the math concepts in it. Probability has always been an interest of mine, so naturally this show becomes intriguing...fast

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Over a year? Try about three or four.

When it started the top prize was $2 million. It's down to 200 large now but I've seen it go off a few times. More than Millionaire but then they had two winners in the space of a few weeks (well, the first guy won ages back but 9 held back the show to get better ratings).

7. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Has it really been that long! Wow. Actually you're right, they had it on weekly for a while didn't they, with the bigger prizes. How time flies!

8. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

I taped it last night since I thought it might be worthy of giving it a chance based upon the promos that aired. Now that there is a mass transit strike in New York City, I should have an abundance of time to check it out later.

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yep, was on primetime when it came out, think it went for an hour too. Seven put it on to compete with millionaire/sale of the century. At an hour long it was possibly the most boring game show on the planet but now it's actually quite good. The guy who hosts it, "Wild One" Johnny O'Keefe's nephew Andrew can be a bit of a tool but he handles it OK.

10. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Just started here in the UK. (well I've just noticed it start...) Watched an episode while baby sitting (It's broadcast at bored housewife and single mother time in the afternoon)

That was the most boring dreck I ever saw. About an hour long, completly lacking in suspense, and full of fake titillation. There's some bloke sitting down 'the banker' (not a contestant, just some actor paid to sit down for an hour) and the presenter kept going on about how 'the banker won't like this', 'the banker wants to win', 'the banker is getting nervous now' etc etc blah blah for a whole hour.

The actor playing the banker didnt say one word for the whole show, just went through his limited repetore of facial expressions (one more than charles bronson, well done!)

I had to amuse myself by imaging the presenter said 'wanker' every time he said 'banker' e.g. 'the wanker won't like this' etc.

I've done some pretty pointless things, but that was one of the most wasted hours of my life :(

I could imagine how it might be more interesting in a shorter format, but as it stands, I just thought about all the indie filmmakers and docu-makers who were producing stuff so much more skilled and valuable than this tedious waste of bandwidth hogging my nation's limited airwaves.

.. RedTomato ..

11. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yeah, ours is a bit different. Half an hour, much faster paced than it used to be, there's certainly no actor as the "Banker" (1st rule of being an Aussie - don't look like a dickhead).

It's actually not a bad watch now since they shortened it and made the prizes better with mystery cases, mega-guesses and the like. The best changed they made was definitely bringing it sown to half an hour.

12. monke macrumors 65816

monke

Good Concept and Show. Waste of an hour.

Honestly, think of how much more you could do in an hour, rather than watch a person turn down thousands of dollars.

13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

All depends on how fresh the testicles are, if you are a live guppy/sushi eater -- chasing after a kangaroo and biting its testicles off is definitely a leg up on most of the sillier American redneck stunts.

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

This show is decent not great, It needs Regis not Howie tho.:rolleyes: The lack of questions make it bland and kind of mindless.

15. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

What most interesting is that this show is pure gambling. It's not a quiz show or other skill-based show.

Just an interesting observation. ;)

arn

16. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I think the skill is not punching Howie Mandell in the face after he goes to commercial every 5 seconds.:p

17. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yep, I reckon a Kangaroo would kick seven colours of crap out of you if you tried to bite it's nads off. Mean buggers they are if you tick them off - it's quite scary having a mob of roos growling at you cause you know if they want to chase you then you've got no hope of getting away.

The show's better at half an hour long and with a young, slightly odd host. Regis is too damned old from what I've seen of him on Letterman. They guy who hosts our show was an unknown when he started - he's the nephew of Australia's original "wild one of rock and roll" Johnny o'Keefe. You can see the family mindset sometimes - Andrew o'Keefe is a bit of a tool and hyper as all buggery but he definitely knows how to host this type of show.

18. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

This show is so annoying.
    I have it on, just in the background of what I''m doing.

WTF, I just got a call from the banker?
    Very dumb...

but I'd be ALL OVER IT! I need some cash.

19. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I don't get it. :eek:

How can there be a show that doesn't involve any skill on the participant's behalf? Big Brother at least has basic social skills as a requirement...

20. themacman macrumors 6502

yeah i watched it, i was suprised it was very entertaning

21. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Haven't you seen it? 5:30pm on 7. Basically it's a show where people gamble with the unknown contents of a chosen briefcase and eliminate the remaining cases in order to either force an unseen "bank" to offer more money for their case than it actually contains or to eliminate all the other remaining cases to reveal the contents of their chosen case.

Yeah, crystal, I know.

22. Aarow macrumors 6502a

23. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

it's on NBC i think...

a pretty silly show if you ask me... i don't see it lasting long- it's just random guessing...

24. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I've seen it. I just don't understand why it exists. How can it possibly be entertaining? :eek:

That's a good description by the way. :)

25. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I am not sure of how much math is involved the banker offers half of the average value of the board. All you have to do is take a look and decide when if the value of the offer is that much greater than the value of the top prize over the value of the offer.

Lets say you have a preference function that is linear. So if you go from 1$ to 2$ you are just as happy as if you go from $1,000,000 to $1,000,001. Then you should always stick with the suitcase.

If for instance you have a curve that is more logarithmic. Going from 1 to 10 is like going from 10 to 100 and 100,000 isn't much different than a million, then you should take the bankers offer early. 10,000 gets you 5 happies but 1,000,000 only gets you 7. Take the first offer almost every time.

Most people's curves fall somewhere in between. $1 is okay. $10 is a free lunch. $100 is a special treat. $1000 is christmas. $10,000 is a car. $100,000 is a house. $1,000,000 is a nice house. How much more is a house worth to you than a car? Does a nice house really matter that much more than just a house?