Dealing w/ photos w/ the same filenames in iPhoto

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mmsulli, Mar 26, 2007.

1. mmsulli macrumors newbie

Mar 23, 2007
    I recently bought my first Mac (an iMac) and I'm in the process of moving over about 6,000 photos from my Windows PC. My problem is that I own two Sony cameras and the filenames for the photos taken on each camera are the same. For example I have a photo from 2007 called DSC1100 and a photo from 2004 (taken on my old camera) called DSC1100. On my PC I stored them (very carefully) in separate folders.

Is there a way to import all of these photos into my iPhoto library without them overiding each other? Can I store them in separate locations? Can I import them and change the names in the process?

I'm still nervous about messing with my folders and applications. I'm sure that comes from being a Windows user and always feeling like if something terrible could happen to my programs or files, it would. Windows is second nature to me, but I'm still feeling like a foreigner in Macworld. :eek:

I searched the forums for help and found tons of info on getting rid of duplicate photos, but that's not my problem. I've got different photos with the same filenames. Around 2,000 of them...

Thanks in advance!
  2. akadmon macrumors 68010

Aug 30, 2006
    New England
    Download a little program called Stamp 2.8 for Windows:

It renames (in batch mode) photos which have EXIF data attached to them (i.e., photos taken with any digital camera) according to the time the picture was taken. For example a photo taken on August 7 2004 at 12 seconds after 3:07 p.m. will be renamed 2004-08-07@15-07-12.jpg. If you had another file with the same exact date (most likely a copy of the original that was modified in a photo editing app), the second file will be named 2004-08-07@15-07-121.jpg.
  3. markcres macrumors 6502

Mar 30, 2006
    Southport, UK

That is a great find.. thanks.. but do you know of a similar app that does the same thing under OS X??

4. beige matchbox macrumors 6502a

beige matchbox

Mar 16, 2005
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Should be able to do it with automator, or at least something similar.

Rename Finder Items -> Add Date Or Time

seems favorite :)

I wouldn't be surprised if their are other apps that do the job too :D
  5. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

Jan 25, 2002
    Orange County, CA
    If you import them into iPhoto one folder at a time (either by select the photos in a folder and dragging them to the iPhoto icon in the dock or through the iPhoto menu File > Import...) iPhoto will organize them into separate film rolls and having more than one photo with the same name won't be an issue. If you want, you can then change the names...but it really isn't an issue.
  6. Rikkitikkitavi macrumors newbie

Jun 16, 2007
    This is an issue I am having. Multiple photos with the same name is an issue because I cannot download them to a card for my digital frame becuase it thinks they are duplcates and wants to replace them. Any suggestions on changing the names of the files Batch style in "Finder"?