Dealing with bookmarks - your favorite tips

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by OldCorpse, Mar 9, 2007.

1. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Dealing with bookmarks. It ain't easy. There are a number of 3rd party apps/plugins that try to help, but there are many issues. How about exchanging our favorite tricks and/or apps?

1)I use both FF and Safari - keeping all the bookmarks always synchronized is a pain - I'd love something that does it automatically all the time, so that if I add a bookmark in FF or in Safari, it automatically cross-bookmarks at the very same time. Same with erasing - real time in one does it real time in the other. How do you deal with this?

2)Links go dead. Sometimes long before I have a chance to re-visit a site. There are a number of apps that are supposed to keep your links fresh automatically, most of them shareware. What do you use?

3)As I accumulate more and more links, it starts getting a pain to organize. Do you have a neat system? An app or plugin that is just a great organizing tool?

4)Some links I just want to check out later, but don't really want as bookmarks. I bookmark "temporarily" but then forget to re-check. I guess I could make a special folder "temp links to check out soon" but maybe there's a better solution. A menu app comes to mind "urlwell":

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/17318

So what are your tips, tricks and apps?

2. neyoung macrumors member

I use Google Bookmarks with Firefox. You can place a Bookmark This! button in your Firefox toolbar to give you an easy way to make new bookmarks. I also use a plugin called GMarks that lets me look at my bookmarks along the left side of my firefox window... similar to how the History shows up.

As far as organization goes I use lots and lots of labels. With Google Bookmarks you can have multiple labels for each bookmark. Other bookmarking strategies rely on folders, which allow you to put the bookmark only in one place. Google also provides a nice search feature for your bookmarks.

The best part is that your bookmarks will be accessible from any computer you use.