dealing with stray cats

Discussion in 'Community' started by macOSX-tastic, Sep 20, 2005.

1. macOSX-tastic macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

hi all,

i come to you with a bit of a dilemma.....

we have building work going on at the bottom of our garden, and as a result a whole wall has been taken away, leaving it open to small animals, and CATS.

a particular black cat with yellow eyes came wandering into the garden about 2 weeks ago, and has decided to stay put. it will not go away, no matter what we do, and hangs around the windowsills and dustbins, and even the water butt. it must be being fed elswhere because we dont usually see it in the night, and it seems quite healthy, not thin, and has a thick glossy coat.

during the day, it hangs around in the garden and wont budge, if we put it outside the gate it still comes back! because of the developement, the garden is an absolute mess and i fail to see the appeal of staying in our garden long term, obviously the cat thinks differently:D

it wouldnt be so bad if my younger sisters didnt think it was adorable, but unfortunately me and my dad are allergic to cats and cant have it in the house for health reasons. im not sure if the RSPCA will remove it, hopefully they will...i certainly dont want it around anymore and its driving us crazy...we find cat fur and sometimes rips in our clothes from the washing line!!!

any advice??

tastic

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

Are you allergic to dogs?

3. macOSX-tastic thread starter macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

allergic to dogs? haha ive never thought of that before:D

knowing my luck, the cat and dog will become friends:eek:

its freaky when you are going up to bed at night, you go the kitchen to get a glass of water and there are these floating yellow eyes staring!!!

here are a few pictures for your viewing pleasure. (camera phone)

tastic

Attached Files:

4. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Aww it is an adorable cat! Long hair though--- that could definitely worsen the allery issue. Other than calling an animal shelter or posting flyers around the neighborhood (to see if it really does belong to someone else), I'm not too sure what else you could do.

5. iGary Guest

iGary

Oh you had to go and post pictures.

Up until then I was going to recommend a shotgun.

I loves me some cats. :D

6. macOSX-tastic thread starter macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

heh, sorry iGary, i wasnt expecting sympathy votes for the cats!!:D

we havent been feeding it, we are hoping it will clear off that way.....but no dice. my dad hates all furry animals, so no point in telling him it's cute!!!:D

i dont really want to post flyers so i may just call a shelter. i feel kind of cruel, but unfortunately my allergic reaction is really bad, not anyphalactic shock type-o-thing, just eye swelling and sneezing, wheezyness, etc. my dad is the same.

no ID on the cat either, so we suspect it may be a stray.....otherwise why stay put for so long? it can easily get in and out of the garden.

hmmm.....tastic

7. iGary Guest

iGary

You may get over your allergy - my partner was deathly allergic to cats and I moved in with mine...it took about a month, but his body finally aclimated to the allergens...

8. macOSX-tastic thread starter macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

iGary: "Oh you had to go and post pictures.

Up until then I was going to recommend a shotgun.

I loves me some cats. :D" (quote option not working for some reason :confused: )

perhaps some photoshopping for less lovability?

:D

the problem is i have had this allergy to general animal fur for as long as i can remember....can you actually become acclimatised to your allergy then, and the cats stop affecting you? i wonder how this happens.

(edit: last paragraph modified because rev A of said paragraph made me seem dumb:D)

9. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

I'm tempted to say do the world a favour, we have too many darned cats, but then I do have some heart and it is illegal. Just call up the RSPCA as you say, and they will deal with it. Though if it is getting fed as you suggest, and it looks healthy, then it may well have a legitimate owner and it just likes to hang out at yours.

Boy-cat or girl-cat? The boys like to patrol their territory. Boy cats should be neutered for population reasons anyway, so that's the least you should do (let the professionals do it though!) ;)

10. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

AWwwwww... how cute :D

I don't really have much advice for you. Stray cats isn't much a problem here.

But if you have them killed or otherwise removed from this earthly realm, I'll hate you.

*love cats*

11. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

For some people and some (specific, individual) animals-- yes. Usually if someone is allergic to cats it's not technically because of its fur but because of its dander-- skin particles. It has happened for many a person who lives/spends enough time w/ a specific animal that s/he can drastically lessen the allergic reactions w/ repeated exposure. But the reverse can happen-- if you stop the exposure (for a given period of time) and then go back, you could become allergic again.

12. macOSX-tastic thread starter macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

my dad has repeatedly threatened to make the cat hit him in the spade with its head.....:D

i dont have the heart to do this though....if it wasnt for my allergy problems!!!

13. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

This sounds great! But I don't think the cat would be able to hold a spade...lack of opposable thumbs, you know.

14. macOSX-tastic thread starter macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

maybe this will reduce the love for this moggy, comliments of iPhoto:

tastic:D

Attached Files:

15. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Your new little friend

Try chucking a whole lot of orange and lemon peel around the place. Cats hate citrus... and it's natural and biodegradable too.

Not only are cats territorial, they're creatures of habit as well. Once it finds a new nice place to sit, then it may forget about your garden.

Also, I suspect that when it starts getting a lot colder at night, it'll find somewhere a little more sheltered and warm.

16. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I'd start by asking around the neighborhood (per devilot76's suggestion) and maybe even posting some flyers. Do you have any no-kill shelters in the area?

17. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

This is hard to take seriously given all that you contributors haven been doing lately to draw attention to your status. ;)

18. macOSX-tastic thread starter macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

im sure i could ask around the neighborhood......as for cat shelters, i may have to go to newport, the island's capital. everything originates there.

dashboard yellow pages return nothing, time to hit the good old fasioned yellow book!!

tastic

19. macOSX-tastic thread starter macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

i shall try the citrus idea...sounds pretty easy and not too much effort...i dont really want to go near it, so i will probably resort to throwing out of a top floor window or something....the windowsills are good places for these.

20. Gwendolyn macrumors member

Yes, it's happened for me for the most part. I used to have awful allergies to cats (runny nose, itchy, watery eyes, and once my eyes swelled shut). When I got married and we visited the in-laws, they had ten cats. I spent most of my first visits there on allergy medicine, and over several years the allergies just weakened until I didn't need the medicine nearly as often. Now we've adopted two of the cats, and my allergies aren't a problem unless I pet the cats and then touch my eyes (because then they itch).

About getting a cat away, I know my mom has a similar problem with the neighbor's cat coming over to her yard and using it as a litterbox. She bought some kind of biological spray or crystals from the store to put around that smell like pepper and deter the cat from coming around. Apparently this works, at least until the scent disperses, and then she reapplies it as necessary. I've never used it myself, so I can't give a personal testimonial, but she seems happy enough with it. Also, she was able to reclaim the area that was being used as a litterbox by putting a bunch of large rocks there so that the cat wouldn't have an area to dig in, since cats prefer to dig to cover the mess. Sorry to hear about your allergies, and good luck! I hope the citrus idea works.

21. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Well, a couple hundred years ago they used to stuff a hated person's effigy with cats before burning it - of course that's also before people figured out that cats were an effective control for plague-rats.

The most effective course would be to borrow a dog. Although the stray will probably find new digs once it gets cold, like others have said.

We used to have a stray around the yard but it got chased away by a groundhog or woodchuck that moved in under our shed, which was in turn evicted by a skunk who reigned until hit by a car (pew) and was replaced by wild rabbits. :)

22. macOSX-tastic thread starter macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

we havent found any evidence of littering from the cat, which either means:

a) it is a hollow ghost cat.
    b) it has a very large stomach.
    c) it is doo doo-ing somewhere else, further adds to the theory that it is just hanging around.

hopefully the cold weather will help...what about throwing citrus at the cat?:D

tastic

of course, the obvious answer is a!!!

:D

23. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

My better half is an RSPCA Inspector and she says that the RSPCA won't do anything about it i'm afraid. Because it is healthy there isn't anything they can do. Her advice is to discourage it from coming in your garden by spraying it with water or making loud noises to shoo it away. It will get fed up with the constant harassment and will choose someone else's garden eventually. With a bit of luck putting your wall back up will put a stop to it's incursions.

Please don't be mean to it though and don't let your dad hit it with a spade.

24. macOSX-tastic thread starter macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

right, orange peels strategically placed...we will have to wait and see.

thanks for all your tips and tricks so far.

tastic

25. macOSX-tastic thread starter macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

macRy, good suggestion, its what we have been doing so far.....however the wall situation is beyond our control because it does not belong to us, others are developing it. there is just a privacy screen there at the moment.

tastic