Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Amazon has knocked the 2020 M1 MacBook Air (256GB) down to $899.99 in all three colors, from an original price of $999.00. Gold and Silver are in stock today, while Space Gray has a slight shipping delay with an estimated delivery of June 28.

M1-MacBook-Air-Deals-Feature-Cool.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Amazon. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Compared to previous 2022 deals, Amazon's price today is a second-best discount on the M1 MacBook Air. The notebook is shipped and sold by Amazon, and the two models that are in stock can be delivered as soon as June 22 for most locations in the United States.

This version of the MacBook Air launched in 2020 with the M1 chip, a 13-inch Retina display, and Touch ID support. Apple just announced the updated MacBook Air with the M2 chip, which will start at a higher $1,199 price tag. The M2 MacBook Air won't launch until next month, and the M1 model will remain in the lineup.

Head to our full Deals Roundup to get caught up with all of the latest deals and discounts that we've been tracking over the past week.

Article Link: Deals: Apple's 256GB M1 MacBook Air Drops to $899.99 on Amazon ($99 Off)

T Coma

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2015
Flyover Country, USA
Constantly checking the Deals Roundup page (not for Air but for 14" & 16" Pro)

Not reported there, but for those of you who buy from Costco, the 10/16/16GB/1 TB MBP M1 Pro in 14" and 16" are now $200 off.

In addition:
Costco doubles Apple warranty to 2 years for free
Costco Citibank VISA adds two more years for free
SquareTrade/Allstate apparently adds another 3 years for $99

7 years sounded to good to be true - but phone calls to all three "confirmed" a combination of 7 years coverage, verbatim. I'm still suspicious of it going beyond 4, but still, 4 for free is pretty good. The SquareTrade includes drops/spills.

Warranty is more of a concern to me in a more or less un-"user serviceable" rig.

Screen Shot 2022-06-11 at 10.16.10 AM.png
squaretrade.jpg

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Constantly checking the Deals Roundup page (not for Air but for 14" & 16" Pro)

Not reported there, but for those of you who buy from Costco, the 10/16/16GB/1 TB MBP M1 Pro in 14" and 16" are now $200 off.

In addition:
Costco doubles Apple warranty to 2 years for free
Costco Citibank VISA adds two more years for free
SquareTrade/Allstate apparently adds another 3 years for $99

7 years sounded to good to be true - but phone calls to all three "confirmed" a combination of 7 years coverage, verbatim. I'm still suspicious of it going beyond 4, but still, 4 for free is pretty good. The SquareTrade includes drops/spills.

Warranty is more of a concern to me in a more or less un-"user serviceable" rig.
What drives me crazy is there are never sales on any higher end configs, which doesn't make sense because those are usually artificially marked up even higher. And this has been true since before supply chain shortages. Maybe because most companies outside of Apple don't have the custom configurations? I like to max it out (no pun intended) because I like to keep my Mac for a long time. I knew my 2019 Intel machines would be short lived but I needed to upgrade my 2012 kit. Hoping my next device can last another 7 years, and to do that I need to max out the CPU and the RAM and get a second largest SSD and second fastest GPU, usually.

Reactions: SFjohn

T Coma

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2015
Flyover Country, USA
What drives me crazy is there are never sales on any higher end configs, which doesn't make sense because those are usually artificially marked up even higher. And this has been true since before supply chain shortages. Maybe because most companies outside of Apple don't have the custom configurations? I like to max it out (no pun intended) because I like to keep my Mac for a long time. I knew my 2019 Intel machines would be short lived but I needed to upgrade my 2012 kit. Hoping my next device can last another 7 years, and to do that I need to max out the CPU and the RAM and get a second largest SSD and second fastest GPU, usually.
Yeah I hear ya. But obviously these discounters reserve/negotiate big allotments of whatever Apple decides is a standard build, thus the frequent discounts. I'm not sure of other resellers, but Costco occasionally gets some higher end stuff (MBP M1 Max, Mac Studio Ultra) but I've only seen minor discounts, and even those are still at the standard option build. I'm just glad to see the 14"/16" with 1TB. I think I'm pulling the trigger on one, just have to decide which.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Usually each model has two "stock" configurations that traditional retailers sell (Like Costco, Bestbuy etc.). The base and a step up. The "problem" is that even the step up stock configuration is underpowered for the lower models like the MacBook Air, the Mac mini and even the iMac. In none of those models does the RAM increase from 8GB. Typically it just increases the storage and maybe a CPU/GPU core or two. I was really hoping they would start rectifying this with the redesign MBA in making the step up standard config 16/512, but alas they kept it at a measly 8/512 again.

Reactions: freedomlinux

SouthPalito

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2021
Why would they give you a discount on their higher end configs? They know you are insensitive to price since you prioritize having the best specs, so they have no incentive to reduce the price for you.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Apple Certified Refurb still prices this at $850. Seeing as they're sold from Apple and are just as reliable, with entirely new batteries and exteriors, I'm not sure how $899 is supposed to get me excited.

Reactions: SFjohn

Hkfan45

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2021
Any reason to upgrade from an M1 air to an M2 air? Any benchmarks released comparing the two?

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
You're thinking is old man.

The new Apple model is: upgrade your Mac every year to enjoy the latest software, just like iPhone!!!

I wish I were kidding.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.