Dean scream really a whimper?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by diamond geezer, Feb 27, 2005.

1. diamond geezer macrumors regular

link

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Actually, this is old news, though it's welcome to see here because it can't be repeated too many times that the so-called Dean scream was so much bull****. Sure, he was loud and raucous -- he was rallying the troops. He was having a good time with them. Hardly the crazy man the media ended up depicting him as.

I've seen both of the clips, and in the one that was shot from the crowd -- near Dean's stage -- you can hardly hear him over the crowd noise.

It's a shame that someone with such bright presidential potential had their campaign halted for such specious reasons.

3. Desertrat macrumors newbie

On a daily basis, the difference is only of degree. Distortions are commonly not noticed if they fit preconceived notions or worldviews.

The newsies are in business to get attention for their product. Excitement and controversy are the favored methods. More viewers or readers and the hire'em/fire'em folks are happy at the increased sales of advertising...

Seemingly, the less the importance, the greater the excitement. Damfino.

'Rat

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Dog bites man: no news
    Man bites dog: news

5. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

6. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

So true on so many fronts. I like many saw only what the media wanted me to see. At the same point I also know the media well enough to see that they tried to make a story out of nothing. Even if the crowd was not as loud as portrayed in the first post, it reached the feeling that Dean was not going to give up on his faithful.

My lament is that I am a fan of the West Wing. Sure politics as usual at some points, but it also shows what is possible if we all demand more from those that represent us. Loved Smits in the debate episode. Made me wish for a candidate like that, but they also showed that we as a people are all too willing to let the media make our choices.

7. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Let us not forget how:

One three second clip of Ford stumbling while exiting a plane became a very successful campaign depicting him as inept, bumbling and clumsy.

8. Desertrat macrumors newbie

I saw a Roundtable Discussion on CSpan with ex-Pres Ford, Alex Haig, Dan Rather/Peter Jennings and many other Big Wheels.

Ford came across as quite knowledgeable and incisive. More rational than many; not necessarily El Numero Uno...

You'd never thought the same man sliced a golf ball into the crowd, or messed up while trying eat a tamale--cornshuck and all.

No different than Dan Quayle responding to a cue card on how to spell potato, when the cue card was misspelled...

And "all of the above" is why I've never given a hoot about the "Dean Scream". Or Humphrey's tears or Romney's "brainwashing" comment...

'Rat

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Maybe I was watching the wrong media during those years, but I never thought Gerald Ford was dim, just kind of clumsy. Physical grace just wasn't his forté. As for Dan Quayle, he had a habit of misspeaking.

10. diamond geezer thread starter macrumors regular

like Hitler dancing a jig at Ver*sailles.

11. Desertrat macrumors newbie

IJ, you're probably less swayed by editorial slanting than most folks. :)

Quayle, Bush II and the Reverend Spooner oughta go on the road together. :) Robin Williams for EmCee/Moderator/Host. :D

'Rat

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Nice concept. I'd round out the lineup with Norm Crosby.

(Anybody else remember him?)

13. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Yeah, I'm an old guy. ;) I remember him.

I think he was Bush's speech teacher, wasn't he?