dear god was that scary (hospital)

Discussion in 'Community' started by eva01, Sep 6, 2005.

1. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Christ for the last 30 minutes the power in the entire hospital was out, normal power, backup power, emergency generators.

Operating room no power, Critical Care no power, OBS no power. Thankfully some things have batteries that last a small amount of time, max 15-20 minutes.

One of the scariest things ever hearing people in OR and CCC screaming for flashlights and nurses and drs.

2. iGary Guest

iGary

Glad I wasn't on the table. :D

3. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Something like that should never happen. Did they tell y'all why the power went out? Usually generators are at hospitals for the very reason.

4. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I thought that hospitals were required to have backup generators... :confused:

5. eva01 thread starter macrumors 601

eva01

they are required and normally the kick in, i was talking to someone that had been here for 25 years and she had never seen the back up generators not kick in.

Apparently an outside lab a mile away also lost power at the same time, something major happened.

two people were on the operating room tables when it went out, and thankfully i guess no one in CCC coded.

6. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Eh?! :eek:

Any idea why it happened?

Even though they have backup power, the thought that the power might die is a scary one. Some people are dependent on it.. What if the backup power fails (it has happened!). Ugh.

Edit: Which failed?! Crazy...

7. eva01 thread starter macrumors 601

eva01

the backup power did fail, it was pitch black in here

8. eva01 thread starter macrumors 601

eva01

Sacriest of all we are the only hospital within like 40-50 miles.

everyone comes here and the hospital is continually expanding, which may have caused the power outage because of the construction workers cutting something they weren't supposed to.

9. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Remember the big blackout a couple years ago, when much of the Northeastern US was without power?

I was at work (I work at the Cleveland Clinic, a very large hospital) when the power went out. Several of our emergency generators were in a state of disassembly for maintenence, so parts of the hospital had no emergency power for some time, including some of the ICUs and ORs. And yes, there were a number of surgeries that had to be completed by flashlight. :eek: :eek:

It was pretty scary, but they were able to reroute power from less critical areas with good generators and all major equipment survived on battery backup till they got everything sorted. Still, the entire hospital was full of equpiment alarms going off, it was insane.

I work in the research building, and our generator functioned but its power was rerouted to critical areas, so the research department lost tens of thousands of dollars in mutant cell lines. Fortunately most cells were stored in the -80C freezers which can maintain safe temperatures for 24hours or more, and were saved.

10. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Yes, it is scary when you are in a hospital and the power goes off. I have had it happen also. In each incidence the backup generator kicked in as scheduled. In the summer, could hear the motor start.

Just glad that everyone is alright. I can visualize exactly what went on in the OR and CCU areas of the hospital.

A time when windows really help.

11. eva01 thread starter macrumors 601

eva01

yep we could only draw in one room for the patients.

They have cancelled all non-emergency surgries for the day. Which is a good thing because who knows if it goes out again. Alot of the surgeons are in a tizzy. Especially one of them that only does surgeries on wednesdays.

12. eva01 thread starter macrumors 601

eva01

well found out why backup power didn't come on.

for some odd reason the power and natural gas lines got cut, backup is by natural gas

13. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That's a real bummer. Someone made a huge mistake. Not the first or last the a contractor was in error. This kind of thing seems to happen a lot in Massachusetts. It's lucky that a fire was averted. Any idea how long the fix will take?

14. eva01 thread starter macrumors 601

eva01

everything is back on in the hospital, surrounding area i guess is still out with electricity (may be back i don't know) , some of it at least.

And i guess a doctor was in the middle of a total knee replacement surgery.

that is bad.

15. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

16. eva01 thread starter macrumors 601

eva01

from what i hear, everyone invloved is fine, and luckily no one in the hospital is on respirators (aside from OR) so nobody had to stand over someone and hand pump oxygen

17. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

WOW, that is really scary. :eek:

I am just glad that everyone came out of it okay.

18. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Its good no one had to hand pump oxygen as I am sure that would get real tiring real quick.

19. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

That is not good. Think about how many electronics doctors use these days.

For example, if I was doing a laparoscopic surgery, and the power went out and I was in the middle of internally stitching something. What would I do? Not to mention the anesthesiologist's problems.

Not good. Not good at all. I would hate to be doing an operation then. I don't really know the power features of our hospital. I know that it has multiple back-up generators.

Fun Fact: I do that the ESPN Aux. Data Center in Bloomfield (think), CT has two jet engine powered generators.

20. eva01 thread starter macrumors 601

eva01

They were in the middle of a knee replacement, i know i would be pissed to be the doctor, had to continue along with it via flashlights

21. iGary Guest

iGary

I'm just going to have Dr. Sullivan come do my laminectomy at my house.

22. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

oooh, that's scary :eek:

Which hospital did this happen in?

23. eva01 thread starter macrumors 601

eva01

i can't give away that. That just makes the hospital look horribly bad and that i am saying it to purposefully make them look bad.

24. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

I remember it well. It took me 2 hours to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, and then another 5 hours elapsed as I waited in a sea of people in complete darkness for the bus ride home. The usual price gougers emerged and started hawking small bottles of water for $4 each. Yikes!

25. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I hope ya still had your iPod up and running.

Even though my new job will be in a bunch of Hospitals, I hate'em.

My wife has a standing order that I am not allowed to die in a hospital, she is to kick everyone in the groin if needed so she can wheel me outside, I don't care if it is a blizzard, hurricane, or smog day, I do not want to die in a hospital!!!!!

Very bizarre though, always a small chance of the worst scenario, katrina pulled that off too.