Dear mac mini: SHUTUP

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by mrzeve, Jul 10, 2005.

1. mrzeve macrumors 6502a

Jan 25, 2005
    Okay guys.

So my mini has been getting on my nervs lately.

It seems that the intervals at which my mini starts getting loud, are getting louder and louder.

I have included a movie of the minis noise. Randomly it will start loud like this as if its the fan and go on for about 2 min.

BTW, the vid is about 25mb, at a min and half or so. And before anyone says I cant take video, I was just using the cam to record =) mac min.mpg

Is this normal? Does anyone else feel/notice this? Should I go to the Genius Bar tomorrow?
  2. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    Hard to judge the noise for several reasons...

1. I hear lots of camera handling noise.
    2. You have AGC on, so the volume pumps
    3. You move closer to the fan source.
    4. Is the mini the only source of noise in the room?
    5. It sounds like a jet engine.
    6. 25 MB is quite a large download.
  3. mrzeve thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jan 25, 2005
    Just a bit ;x

I move closer to the fan source so you can hear that it is quite loud even from a distance. And how loud it is when your right there.

Yes the mini was the only thing on

I KNOW thats the thing!

Sorry, but you know how it is with these high resolutions :rolleyes:
  4. altivec 2003 macrumors regular

Feb 8, 2003
    This is bad news indeed, for I am planning to purchase one as a solution to a g4 powermac noise problem. I hope you find some way to fix it!
  5. Koree macrumors 6502

Jun 19, 2004
    lol, thats almost as bad as in a boeing 777, you really need to get that checked.
  6. homerjward macrumors 68030

May 11, 2004
    fig tree
    that's freakin loud! not quite as bad as an emac but for a supposedly silent machine that's quite bad. i'd definitely take it to an apple store if i were you. and about the video--have you thought about posting just an mp3 or aac to save people the trouble of dl'ing a huge video?
  7. wwooden macrumors 68000

Jul 26, 2004
    Burlington, VT
    Definitely doesn't sound like a normal mini. Our family one is wisper quite, you can only tell it is on when you put your ear right up to it. I haven't tried testing it with any big video files, maybe it gets louder. Take it to your closes Apple Store or call Apple.
  8. zen.state macrumors 68020

Mar 13, 2005
    mine does the same thing but only when a disk is in the combo drive and only maybe twice so far. both times it did this it stopped as soon as the disk was ejected.

its not a flaw. in that small of a space the heat would get way up there from time to time. it must be something where its already hot and then when a disk is added it turns the fan on to cool things down since another heat generating device is now running.

the mini is mostly silent but when the fan kicks on at full speed its almost as loud as any other mac.
  9. mrzeve thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jan 25, 2005
    I almost never use the cd drive, and what you heard did not have a disk insside.
  10. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

Aug 10, 2003
    its possible that the noise is from something as simple as a misplaced temperature sensor. you should definitely get it checked soon, in case its something more serious.
  11. WeeShoo macrumors regular

Jul 7, 2005
    North Carolina
    yup mine slowed down when i ejected my disk
  12. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

Mar 5, 2003
    I dig the thread title. It is very well worded.

Let us know how things go with Apple. I'm sure it's a problem that can be resolved.
  13. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

Mar 6, 2005
    Your mini has definatly got some problems, all the mini's i have ever encountered are silent...

Your one must have a fault go get it checked out by Apple and they will probably replace it for you...

SHaDOW ;)
  14. MacTruck macrumors 65816

Jan 27, 2005
    One Endless Loop
  15. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

Jan 27, 2005
    Maybe check it's temperature.

I got temperatures from only one sensor, near or on the HD, which will probably, i hope, be close to the the processor <downloading service manual to check possibility>. Looks like it could be just one sensor, a little strange though.
    My mini's fairly quiet. Activity Monitor is always on, and most of the time high processor load is the reason for higher fan speeds.

right now, doing nothing really the temp i get for the HD sensor is 44°C.
    I've never really used the monitor, i will check out the temp when it's jet-like, if ever. An mp3 or AAC of that movie would be nice indeed. I'm not downloading a movie ;).

Good luck
  16. mrzeve thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jan 25, 2005
    Right now, without the Boeing flying over, the Temp is at 113.0?.

Gonna wait till its fly time...

Ok, the temperature didnt change while the boeing took off, flew, and landed.
  17. zen.state macrumors 68020

Mar 13, 2005
    for goodness sakes.. there is nothing wrong with mine and it does the same thing as I said before. those who have the expectation the mini will be silent 100% of the time are going to be disappointed.

the optical drive sure isn't silent.. far from it.

when apple engineered the mini or any other mac do you think their goal is to make sure you never hear fan noise or to protect the hardware inside?

computers make noises.. the sooner people accept that the sooner they can enjoy them.
  18. Josh macrumors 68000

Mar 4, 2004
    State College, PA
    Good luck with it.

I had an iMac once that was so loud, an Apple engineer on the phone asked if I had the AC running.

After a horrible lengthy process, 2 power supply installs, 1 mid pane install, and a trip to the Apple store only to have the employees tell me "there is nothing wrong with it". I gave up and sold it.

Hopefully you have better luck - let us know how it goes!

(If you take it to the store, demand they take it in the back and listen to it in the quiet work area, instead of the loud genious bar - that's what I did)
  19. mrzeve thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jan 25, 2005
    Went to the Apple store and they ordered me a replacement fan that should get there around Thursday. Lets see how this plays out.