Death by Cologne

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by cslewis, Jan 6, 2006.

1. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

Have you ever known someone who went way too heavy on the cologne/perfume? There's this kid who goes to my school... we can track where he's been in the last 15 minutes by his stetson scent trail; he's starting to give people headaches. Has this ever happened to anyone else, or am I 'lucky'?

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

No, every office or school has at least one of these. There was a girl at Microsoft a long time ago who apparently BATHED in perfume... you could detect (OK, smell) her coming 100 feet away.

Dilbert made fun of these people one time... IIRC, Catbert was called in to ask the woman to cut back on her fragrance and passed out when he took off his gas mask.

3. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

4. Lau Guest

Oh god yes.

This is a total thing of mine. I have no problem with perfume. In fact, I even wear it myself. :D What bothers me is that it's partly that random posh lady/random 15yr old teenager's idea of A Good Smell™ is very possibly different to mine, and inflicting such a thing on me because you swam in it is rude.

More seriously, I'm a bit of a asthmatic wheezorama(™?), and said drenching of perfume, even if it's nice, pretty much shuts my throat completely. Snap. Shut. That kind of sucks, not being able to breathe. I Don't Like It. :(

5. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

6. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Not too sure about that. I've spent time in enclosed classrooms with no "odor-arm de-underants" raising their hands repeatedly, and with Channel No.5'ers, and I'd go with the odor-arm de-underants, hands down. :eek:

7. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

It my opinion its worse than smelling of BO,and BO only needs regular bathing to prevent it.

8. Lau Guest

I'd say the smell's about even. But BO still allows me draw air (albeit slightly tainted, oniony :eek: air) into my lungs, which, is y'know, pretty cool. ;)

9. danny_w macrumors 601

Both my mother and (late) mother-in-law love White Shoulders, and lots of it (ugh)! I used to have to roll the car windows down when my MIL got in the car, or I couldn't breathe.

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Then you haven't met me. :eek:

11. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Ditto Lau - I'd much rather deal with BO than a lot of perfume. My mom wears tons of perfume, and honestly, after a while it hurts my eyes. Even though BO is unpleasant, its less synthetic. It can't be good to inhale that many chemicals, even if they're FDA approved.

12. cslewis thread starter macrumors 6502a

cslewis

Synthetic? Why, my own Stetson cologne promises to 'infuse the wild, earthy, sexy spirit of the American cowboy' into their bottle. How could you argue with that? :D

13. Lau Guest

Oh, for the future of scratch 'n' sniff internet.

Or not. ;)

14. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    LOL - like Brokeback Mountain? :D:p

15. ibook30 macrumors 6502a

ibook30

Try hanging out with Deadheads on tour- patchouli and body odor,,,, actually if your in the groove, you don't notice it. Once you step out of the groove, one might decide to take bath...

Over perfumed is the worst though! Worse than body odor (in my humble opinion) and level with chronic bad breathe.

16. cslewis thread starter macrumors 6502a

cslewis

Well, I guess the silhouetted cowboy on the bottle could be Heath Ledger... :D

17. iRachel macrumors 6502a

ugh - I can't stand people who wear too much scent. To make matters worse, I'm allergic to most perfumes and colognes - so everytime I'm in a room with someone who's wearing too much, I get a headache, and if it's really bad, sometimes I feel like I'm going to pass out from the smell. :mad:

18. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

au de toilet....i know alot of people that take hot showers in scents...well it smells like it anyway....ewww

Bless

19. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

I don't care for over strong perfume either. I used to work with a lady who wore perfume. I don't know what it was, but to me it smelled (really!) like rat poison. I would get within 10 feet of her, and my eyes would swell shut, my nose would run, and my throat would close. UGH!! I asked other people, and they all said she smelled really nice.

20. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

I wear cologne myself almost everyday, but in a decent amount I shall say. I hate those people that over use that stuff makes me nauseous.

21. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

How many spritzes should one use if they're gonna use it everyday? Some people say 2 or 3, but I think 1 ought to be enough, no?

22. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I have worn cologne ONCE in my life. It was for my senior prom, and it was wasted anyway. I didn't use too much though, or my brother wouldn't have been too happy with me. Yeah, I don't own any either, nor do I own or use aftershave. I do use deodorant though, and my cousin used excessive amounts of Axe earlier this year. I'll pass on spraying butane and propane all over me.

23. iGary Guest

iGary

I was eating dinner at the Italian market tonight before my monthly bird club meeting (yes, I'm an ornithology geek) and I was all ofthe sudden smacked in the face with this God awful stench of violets, rose water and petroleum distillate.

I look up and this 40-year old spiked red hair piece of tragedy walks by with her dinner. Holy cow. I really wanted to just tell her she stank.

24. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

she ruin the bird club meeting fot you huh...

Bless

25. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Introducing Stank™ by Calvin Klein.

I think I have an idea here....