Death of an iBook, Help please

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Richard Cranium, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Richard Cranium macrumors newbie

Hello,

My Girlfriend spilled a glass of water on her 700mhz 14' g3 iBook last night. She took the keyboard off and thought she got all the water. She tried to turn it on this morning and nothing would happen. The battery is charged and the AC adaptor is pluged in but it will not turn on. The Number Lock and the Caps Locks button will turn on - but thats it.

Does anyone have any suggestions on any fixes?

If nothing else would we be able to take the drive out and put it in my dual 867 MDD? and if that would work does anyone have an idea as to how to do that? I already have 2 drives in the main drive area, Could I put the ibook drive in the other area?

If nothing else is there anything usefull to do with a waterlogged iBook.

Please no comments on reverting to Backup's - I told here already and got hit.

Thank you very much for any help.

2. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

if you can tell that the ac power is on, battery is charged and keyboard LEDs light up, then the first thing i'd do is restart under target FW disk mode and see if iBook's HD would mount on another Mac...

3. Richard Cranium thread starter macrumors newbie

The ac plug is lit up and the battery is showing a charge. The computer will not restart.

Should i plug a firewire cable in to it and to mine and try mounting the drive from there? Or how would i satrt under target FW disk mode?

Thanks

4. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

you can't restart at all?? how about after removing the battery? holding down the power button?

anyway, if you can restart, connect your iBook to your PM via FW cable. restart the iBook while holding down the T key. the iBook should mount on the PM as a FW HD...

5. Richard Cranium thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah it does not start at all. I was kind of thinking about removing the drive and putting it in to the PM, if thats even possible. Anyway to at least get the data of the drive.

all other suggestions are appreciated.

RC

6. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i guess what you mean by it won't start is that after you shut down the machine, it won't start normally, correct? (the machine has to shut down if you remove the battery...)

no noise? absolutely nothing...?

have you tried connecting an external display?

7. Richard Cranium thread starter macrumors newbie

No noise, no nothing, I'll try an external display. The machine was off when the battery was removed and then put back. Nothing. just the 2 keyboard lights. It's not that it wont start normally, it will not start at all. :mad:

thanks for you help

8. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

:(

sounds like something got fried... and that the only the connection between the keyboard and the power supply remains..?

does the optical disk drive work? can you try to restart with a start up CD? (probably not because it sounds like your iBook is completely unresponsive...)

sorry man...

9. Richard Cranium thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes the optical drive does not work. Is it possible to physically remove the drive and put it in to the G4? Are the connectors different, t seams like this should be something you could do.

10. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

you should be able to take apart the iBook and get the HD out.

both PM G4 and iBook use Ultra ATA, so i'd imagine they will connect...

11. Kyle macrumors member

The exact same thing happened to me. My iBook was out of warranty, so I took it to some local computer shop that deals with Macs, and they said a new keyboard would sometimes solve this problem.

Guess what? I got a new keyboard, and my computer has been working fine ever since. You may want to look into that.

12. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

13. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

I guess if you want to spill anything on a computer, be thankful it's water and not some sort of sticky beverage.