Death of an IPOD

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by abevcole, Aug 24, 2003.

1. abevcole macrumors newbie

MY IPOD had a short life. :eek: Unfortunately, I bought the most expensive one, and now it is dead. It was not victim of abuse, just hit the dust so to speak. While I love Apple, I dont' think I want to buy another and have the same experience.

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

what, exactly, do you mean by dead?

have you tried all the standard resets?

pnw

3. iWantAMac macrumors 6502

4. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Are you sure you aren't being a little hasty? I've heard of iPods having various issues, but have never heard of one just up and dying. What kind of iPod is it? What does it do or not do? What have you done? Have you talked to Apple? If it had a "short life" it may still be under warranty.

5. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

I feel your pain. I have a dead Diamond Rio 300, 500, and 600. All victims of a short in the firmware. I vow never to buy anything from Sonicblue. Though your dead iPod sounds like an anomaly. Is it still under warranty?

6. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

Yeah, if it was purchased within the last year, it should be under warranty, no?

I am pretty sure absolute death is covered...:)

7. ewinemiller macrumors 6502

Well now you've heard of two up and dying, mine just died too. Lasted less than 30 days. Tried all the stuff listed in the "will not turn on" web page. It was squirrely from the beginning, constantly locking up, having to be reset (first time within about 10 minutes of being pulled out of the box), often would not be recognized when plugged in to the Mac, which of course left me regretting that I bought it, thinking I should have picked up one of the creative labs (the wife's Nomad has been totally abused and still runs like a champ). Finally I went to use it Friday and it was totally dead, probably had less than an hour of play time on it so what's that ~$7 a minute? Thankfully it's under warrenty and the return packaging is on the way. Feature/function wise it's a fine product, but quality control seems to be terribly lax. Hopefully I just got a dud and the next will be better.

8. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Better luck with the replacement. Make sure you do the firmware update if it doesn't already come with it.

9. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Re: Death of an IPOD

Sounds like a troll to me... just up and posted and left.

Never to be heard from again.

10. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Re: Re: Death of an IPOD

I smelled BS from the beginning, but didn't want to jump on the guy until he explained the problem in case he really did need help (actually he wasn't looking for help, just bitching--sign of a troll). He sent me a PM explaining the problem. Fairly vague and parts were nonfactual. His iPod seems to have every problem that any iPod ever had. And it's iPod--somebody who dropped $500 on one would probably want to avoid calling it an IPOD--that's troll sign #2. Troll sign #3 is posting similar messages on various boards on your first day.

11. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

"Yea. These CRAZY IPODS just SUCK. Plain and simple. They're for them thar celebrities who can afford it!

I was surprised to find out MAC was still makin' computers, let alone music players!

I got a DOS format NOMAD and it wurks better.

I'm so cool.

And that buymusic.com has the best prices anywhere!"

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Seems like it's "Bash the iPod time"

I've have my r2 10gb for over a year now.... the thing is bullet proof.

It's been dropped down strairs, fallen on the floor of my car and kicked around, sandwiched in my laptop case, had beer spilled on it at a bar i was djing at, etc etc etc etc etc.

And it STILL gets 7-8 hours of battery, sounds great and functions well. It's scratched to hell and back, but so what?

i HARDLY think Apple compromised on the QC on the new ones... I know a few people who have them... and they have no complaints whatsoever.

I'm actually still lamenting my Saab's lack of audio in and my inability to listen to the iPod w/o one of those wretched FM transmitters.

12. ewinemiller macrumors 6502

a follow up

The replacement came in Saturday and works great. The first was twitchy out of the box even before it died completely, but this one seems much better, no lockups and synchs perfectly everytime so I'm happy again.

I have to say I'm really impressed with Apple's mail in service. I fully expected to not see anything for a few weeks. I hit the customer service website Sunday, Monday they delivered a box to send it back in, Tuesday it was picked up, and by Saturday a new one was back in my hands, very nice.

13. davy the bunny macrumors regular

It's even better when you live close enough to an Apple Store, I've had to replace my iPod twice and they just looked at it tried the stuff from the "Won't Turn On" webpage and then gladly handed me a new one no questions asked.

I'm so glad that they didn't ask any questions too, I don't even want to say what I did to my poor two other iPods. . .

14. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

I have a first gen 5 GB, and the iPod has suffered many drops, there is even sand from the beach under its wheel :eek: and it still works perfectly. Although its way older than one year now, there are still over 6 hours of battery life left.

The iPod rocks. Lock out the trolls.

15. abevcole thread starter macrumors newbie

update on my dead ipod

well, Yes, my ipod was under warranty. I am impressed about how apple sent the packaging and box to pick up my ipod. nominal cost . So now they have it, and I await its return.

Now I must admit, that when I talked to Apple Store, about bringing it in to them, they suggested that I not do that. I know where the stores are, and enjoy visiting them, but they said use the web method, and send it in.

Now someone, said not to forget using the latest software. Good advice, I will do so, when it returns.

When i was in the store 2 days ago, just feeling the new one, one on the counter was stuck. The salesman, said they get stuck often. I wish they wouldn't. i miss my ipod

16. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i have had lots of peoples ipods die and they assume the worse. but thast because they never went to apples site to learn to troubleshoot their ipod. now i am not saying that is your case, but could possibly be it. doesnt really matter since apple has it now. personally i have been very impressed with the ipods. i am on my 3rd one and i havent had a single problem with any of them. i dropped mine on the concrete once, still worked like a champ. i had a customer who dropped theirs in water. i dried it out over night and let it condensate and it fired up like a champ the next day.

iJon

17. abevcole thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks

In my case, I got the sad face, which all reports say, send for repair. Anyway, I once worked for manufacturing company, we made millions of products. I once gave our product to a politician- that one product did not work. Quality controls do exist in corp., but all corporations have a minor failure rate. Companies try to decrease failure rates, but they happen. mine may have been one of those instances of failure in 6 Sigma.

18. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Re: thanks

yeah i understand, but apple will fix it and you will be taken care of, this doesnt happen alot. honestly i dont think apple fixes the ipods, i think they send you a new one and they mess with it later, its not really like a computer.

iJon

19. abevcole thread starter macrumors newbie

20. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Re: update on my dead ipod

They charged you?

21. abevcole thread starter macrumors newbie

there is a nominal charge

I believe they are charging a handling fee. Even when you called to get help, there was charge, if you talk with someone by phone.
    Now let me wait to get ipod, to give more feedback. thanks

22. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Re: there is a nominal charge

That doesn't sound normal. What carrier did they use to ship the box/iPod?

23. ewinemiller macrumors 6502

Re: Re: there is a nominal charge

Actually it is normal. I remember seeing something on the site where you set up the return that if it's been more than 6 months or something like that since purchase, shipping on returns is not free, which I think is pretty crappy since the warrenty is supposed to be one year mail in service. Mine died in less than a month so was completely covered.

24. abevcole thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm happy, my IPOD is home with me

well this may be my last note, for awhile. UPS just delievered my new IPOD. It is brand new, and the buttons work better than my old one.

Just to comment, yes APPLE does charge a minor, nominal, meaning low cost handling fee, I think it was like $29.95. Probably for the shipping and nice heavy duty box they use to transport IPODs.

One question. To reload my music which is store on Jukebox, I have a PC version of original IPOD, do I just plug and download, or do I need software to download.

The IPOD when powered up, gives me the index for playlist and everything, it is just empty, since it is new. I want to do this correctly. Thanks.

25. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Re: I'm happy, my IPOD is home with me

I dunno. I might have to declare shenanigans on you. If I'm wrong here I know somebody will tell me so (although if I'm right somebody will tell me I'm wrong anyway) but before this I've never heard of Apple charging shipping for warranty service. I've personally shipped a monitor to them for warranty service (much bigger and heavier than an iPod) and wasn't charged. I know of several people who have sent in iPods who weren't charged. Also, I've only recieved stuff from Apple via Airborne--but that might just be due to where I live or something. Still, stuff doesn't add up here and I think I smell a rat.