Death of CDs

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by scem0, Nov 8, 2002.

1. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

When will we see the death of CDs? What will replace them? Are there any things out right now which are significantly better than CD's? Not only for music, but for anything and everything. In 10 years will I still be getting 'Try AOL version 20.4 - 2 million hours free for only $24 a month!' on a CD or on some other type of recordable media. Will there just be CDs with higher storage capacities or what?

2. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I fully expect that DVDs will replace CDs at some point. Until then though there is a new cd format that hold 1.4GBs.

3. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

theres AU$30 zip disks holding 750mb right now which isn't all too shabby except for price...but they do write faster than cd's and are infinitely re-writable...

4. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

Personally, I feel that we will all soon be using things like Compact Flash or Smat Media cards for things like music, where ther are packaged and labeled, then sold in stores. For things like software, eventually the prices of things like Microdrives will crash to the point that they will be used. Most likely, that will take forever (between five and seven years, I say) but I do think it will happen.

5. Shrek macrumors 65816

Shrek

I have created another thread related to this one here.

6. BenderBot1138 macrumors 6502

wow... zip disks... they still have those? CD = 30-50 cents. Zip Disk = 30 dollars ... I had no idea that Zips were still so expensive.

I'd say at some point removable media is done. Consider the power that Apple Computer Inc. is empowering its customers with. Powerbooks today come complete with Airport capabilities etc. The advent of Rendevous and its bright future and assured evolution make accessing data a soon-to-be no-brainer ala "Beam me over Scotty, Ellen, or Tony Hawke." Moreover, the near future holds access to data in as simple a format as cell phones access radio networks today to be the inevitable road on which we are preparing to travel.

Why pack disks around with you when you can simply transmit your data to another computer - Apple or otherwise. As well, consider that an iPod, even today, is capable of packing 20Gigabytes of Data. For the cost of about 10 Zip Disks, you can have what is potentially a fantastic digital hub. Again, the future will tell what this amazing Apple invention holds. It goes without saying, however, that it is taking both the Apple and traditionally non-Apple markets by storm and introducing many to a valid and logical reason to Switch.

What's next? Whatever it is, I'm looking to Apple under Steve Jobs to show us... and what a journey I expect it to be.

:cool:

7. medea macrumors 68030

medea

I personally like cds and enjoy using them, until something comes along that is as widely adopted then cds will reign, look how long the floppy lasted.