Death Penalty?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iGary, Dec 15, 2005.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

FORT WAYNE, Indiana (AP) -- A man accused of killing his family told police he beat and strangled his wife and killed their three young daughters after the couple argued about household chores, according to court documents.

Police found Simon Rios, 33, on the front porch of his home after getting a suicide call early Tuesday. Inside, they discovered blood in the living room and Rios' wife and their three children dead in a bedroom.

Rios pleaded not guilty Wednesday to four preliminary counts of murder and two counts of moving a body. He was jailed without bond.

Autopsies showed the girls -- ages 10, 4 and 20 months -- had all been strangled. Their mother, identified as Ana L. Casas, died of a blow to the head and strangulation, the coroner said.

Rios told police he and his wife argued after she arrived home from work about 1:30 a.m. Tuesday, according to a probable cause affidavit. He said he hit her with a steel pipe, then strangled her with an extension cord, the affidavit states.

He then strangled one of the girls with his hands and used an extension cord to kill the other girls, according to the affidavit.

Neighbor Nancy Gater said Simon Rios worked at a factory but had lost his job this year.

So he admitted it to police, but pleaded not guilty.

Hrmm.

I wouldn't have a problem frying this guy, personally.

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

3. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

I'd say.

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Agreed. But the needle or gas chamber are too good for this guy. Bring back the firing squad!

If that is the case, then he should be helped. If not, bring back the firing squad!

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    As Lacero said, I suspect he had some kind of mental illness. I'd imagine his not guilty murder plea is so he can plead down to manslaughter.

The death penalty isn't going to do any good here. The wife and kids will not be brought back, and if it is a mental illness, once he's back in his right mind, the remorse this guy will feel is likely to be so great (along with the treatment he'll likely get in prison) that it would probably be a kindness to kill him rather than having the guilt haunt him for the rest of his life.

6. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

What I don't understand is why they wait until these criminals are old and decrepit before the carry it out. I actually felt sorry for old Tookie even though he killed four people in his previous life...

7. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

I don't think anyone who strangles his three kids with an extension cord and beats his wife over the head with a pipe, and then strangles her, too, is ever going to be "right" again.

8. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

sorry, no sale.

as stated in the other thread, you can't pick and choose on the death penalty.

toss him in prison. if he feels guilty, he can commit suicide. if he doesn't feel guilty, killing him won't prove anything.

9. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I know the statistics for the death penalty as a deterrent are considered statically insignificant. But if by killing him, down the road just one life is saved, then taking his life was worth it.

10. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

The "just one life" argument never works. You can use it to justify anything.

11. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

if the chance of him getting the death penalty were a deterrent, wouldn't he have already been, like, ya know, deterred.....?

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

...the other two threads on capital punishment. And we needed a third?

13. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I'm not using it to justify anything. I'm using it to justify ending the life on one sick son a bitch. :p
    Actually can you explain in more detail what you mean?

Obviouly it wasn't a deterrent to him. Hopefully it can be a deterrent to someone else.

14. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Would you expect any less? Especially in the Political forum? :p

15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Please don't try to introduce logic into this debate, it will go nowhere. Nobody seriously believes in the deterrent value of capital punishment.

16. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Yes, especially in the political forum.

17. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Quite possibly true. Lock him up and throw away the key.

But don't institutionalize state-approved killing as a solution to anything. My opinion only of course. It's not worth killing one innocent person -- and we've had way too many examples of 'murderers' in Canada subsequently found innocent 10, 20, 30 years later after new evidence comes up (DNA) or witnesses admit they lied.

I don't believe in the "I might fry" deterrent. It presumes rational thought... which is notably absent in the moment... and also may provoke a full meal deal response: "If I'm caught, I'll fry, so I better not leave any witnesses. After all, they can only kill me once, so the 2nd (or 3rd) victim is a free pass."

18. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Right--and I am with you--but he admitted it.

I'm not pro-kill here, just introducing the "he admitted it" piece to the puzzle.

19. bursty macrumors 6502a

bursty

20. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

And... many innocent people have also admitted under questioning, been coerced, been entrapped, been railroaded. (Don't have a link, but there was a Scientific American article on the incidence of lying and the techniques of coercion during questioning)

Taking life is wrong. For the State as well as the perpetrator.

21. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

And we need to sink to his level in order to feel that justice has been served? I for one believe that society/justice needs to be above the criminals and not right there with them. "An eye for an eye" is what, 4000 years old?

22. vniow macrumors G4

Lets kill people to show society that killing people is wrong!

23. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I don't see the relevance of an admission of guilt to the penalty. In fact, Gov. Schwarzenegger made just the opposite argument in denying clemency to Stanley Williams. Frankly I think the death penalty advocates are having a hard time getting their stories straight. They probably don't want to admit that they believe in state-sponsored revenge killing -- but once you strip away all of the other arguments that don't hold any water, this is what is left over.

24. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Is there a difference with injecting someone with poison in a controlled environment and hacking someone's head off with a machete in a public arena?

One might be considered barbaric, but the outcome is exactly the same.

25. bursty macrumors 6502a

bursty

Whats the difference between killing him via lethal injection and killing him by letting let rot in prison? Neither will bring back the lives of his family.