Death Sentence in the USA

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by UKnjb, May 22, 2006.

1. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

May 23, 2005
    London, UK
    There was an interesting interview with Joan Cheever on BBC Radio4's "Start The Week" this morning. You can listen to the programme here (needs Real Time - she is the second interview on the programme, about a third of the way into the programme) and I would welcome any comments from American MR members about what she has to say.
  2. stubeeef macrumors 68030

Aug 10, 2004
    not loading realtime.

But, I am against the death penalty for a multitude of reasons. I am also considered a right wing christian facist by many here. So I may be out of the norm.
  3. blackfox macrumors 65816

Feb 18, 2003
    aww...come on now Stu, I don't think that's fair - I don't consider you as such.

It is fascist btw.
  4. skunk macrumors G4

Jun 29, 2002
    Republic of Ukistan
    Who is? Little old you? Nah. I know it's all a front.;)
  5. gekko513 macrumors 603

Oct 16, 2003
    *hugs stubeef*

At least we agree on one thing. :)
  6. FFTT macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    If our legal system could truly prove guilt beyond
    all reasonable doubt, I wouldn't show any kindness
    to those guilty of violent crimes.

The cost to keep a violent criminal incarcerated costs
    the tax payer somewhere between $20-$50,000 per year.

Even though some may feel that these criminals should spend the rest of their lives being punished
    for what they have done,
    I don't think it's right to burden others when someone has shown a total disregard for human life.
  7. solvs macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    Those on death row are there for years anyway, and appeals are very expensive. Even if it was cheaper though (which it often isn't), do we really want to use cost analysis when it comes to human life? Sometimes I want people to die for their crimes too, it's only human nature, but how are we better than they are if we treat life just as (pardon the pun) cheaply?
  8. FFTT macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    Our legal system does make it difficut to separate degree of guilt beyond
    all doubt.

There are cases however where there is no doubt and where the severity
    of the crime demands swift justice.
  9. mpw Guest

Jun 18, 2004
    I don't have a problem with the concept of taking a life as punisment for certain crimes at all, however I do have a problem with the legal systems of most countries not being up to the task of making the 'right' judgement. There's always going to be mistakes and having taken life in error it's impossible to correct. That said it's impossible to give back 20years of freedom when a long term prisoner is found innocent too.

I'd have no problem sending a criminal to his death if it were proven that they were responsible for the crime accused AND that they were likely to re-offend in released.

If someone is guilty of murder but it could be shown that the likelyhood of them offending again was negligble then I have some difficulty with condemming them to death and feel they should spend an appropriate time in jail.

But then I also feel that the cost to the taxpayer to keep criminals in jail is far too high the figure of $50,000pa was mentioned above, and I don't doubt it, but here the figure was quoted as ~£39,000pa (~US$74,000) about 5years ago which represents 177% of the average income. Assuming the cost has risen in line with average wages the present cost would be in the region of £50kpa (US$94kpa)
  10. xsedrinam macrumors 601

Oct 21, 2004
    The Justice Project charges that one of the central problems is a "broken system", a Judicial System which is inefficient, inaccurate, incompetent and irresponsible as it continues to wield the sword or pull the lever in the name of due process and justice. Since capital punishment was reestablished in the U.S. in the 70's more than eighty capital cases have been reversed. The leading state is Florida.