Death to InvisiText!

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by ravenvii, May 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Ever since the general mentality found out how to create invisible text within their posts, there have been massive mis-use of the feature throughout the forum. I find it incredibly annoying. What's the point of this behavior? It was funny the first few times, but it's used far, FAR too often lately, and it has became very tiresome - and very immature and clique - those in the know keep an eye out for those text, and those who aren't, don't. What do you have to hide? From what I've seen, nothing. You who use it are like the people at a party who stick together, and in the middle of conversations with others nudge each other and talk in whispered voices. And that's rather rude, if I say so myself.

Invisible text is great for spoilers and such, when you mark the beginning and end of the invisible text, so if one wants to read spoilers, he would have to deliberately highlight the body of text to read the spoilers.

All right, sorry for the rant. I've just read one post that, I guess, is the last straw on the camel's back, as the saying goes.

2. vniow macrumors G4

This has been gone over before.

To sum up that thread, no one really cares.

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I completely agree. Not Really. Come on, we're just having a little fun. :D

4. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Erm ... some of us care.

Even if we're hypocritical about it.

Admit it. You're looking for some snarky comment, aren't you.

5. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I think of it like a whisper or something you say under your breath. E.g., I like invisi text... it makes me hot. :p

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It can be pretty fun. Plus, I think it's a good way for quasi-off-topic banter to not take over a thread. It's less intrusive. Restricting our text to a single colour is racist...

...Okay, maybe it's not racist, but it's colourist.

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

As someone who rarely, if ever uses it it's no skin off my nose if a few use it a tool to communicate amongst themselves but I don't see it as exclusionary as some.

My slight issue is with its prevalence rather than the method itself. Sometimes less is more and overuse can ruin its novelty or impact.

Do you think that this forum should only permit the use of black text? I can see some people not being happy about that.

Otherwise, you're just trying to proscribe certain behaviours which is a fruitless and futile task.

I appreciate the need to vent but what good will it achieve except provoke its increased use as already seen in this thread.

8. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Ahh, I was waiting for the all-white response :)

Thanks, Blue :D

9. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I have no problem with InvisiText, except when it's done by amateurs, and then it irks me. ;)

Rules:
    1. The color in posts should be "fafafa", not "white".
    2. When quoting InvisiText, the color in the quote should be changed to "eeeeee".
    3. When using emoticons, they must be bracketed by a [plain][/plain] pair so as not to show up.
    4. Proper etiquette would include size reductions or at least not new lines for the InvisiText.

The whole point of InvisiText is to be invisible. If it's white against a nonwhite background, it's not invisible. If it's a huge block of text, it's not invisible. If it's quoted and then white against grey, again, not invisible.

Come on, people. :)

Now, the exception to the last rule would be text which was meant to be obviously there, but not seen. Even in that case, "fafafa" folks. See BV's example above... well done.

And, finally, I think InvisiText is an ideal way for the smart-ass crowd to say what's on their minds without being so obviously off topic. I'll start using it more.

10. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I think invisible text is massively fun when used appropriately, but I'm not sure it should be endorsed in any official capacity...

...I also wasn't aware that there were guidelines on the subject!

Either way, when you hit reply the invisible text shows up as all the posts are listed below with a different background colour. But I'll make a note of the guidelines anyway ;)

11. Boggle macrumors 6502

Boggle

EDIT': I orginally had a quote up here, but after reading my post, I didn't see it as necessary.

I've got to say I love it. B/c I'm new here I've not had occasion to use it. As I've seen it applied mostly either (as others have pointed out) as an off topic comment or being a smart-ass. The only other occasions seem to be little inside jokes between friends having a dialogue in the same thread. I don't see this as rude mostly b/c I it is perfectly normal in any group discussion to have friends make asides to each other. I am perfectly comfortable with this b/c I am not paranoid! Did they believe me? Are they watching? Do they suspect something? Oh God, I hear them typing! It's about me, isn't it!?!?

12. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

got it, DAD! :p (little OCD about it perhaps? :p crickey, anus-retentis, how's that sock drawer coming along?) :D

13. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

Gasp!!! I've been doing it wrong this whole time?!? I'm such a noob.

As to the original poster.
    You'll get over it.
    If you think it is being rude to use invisi-text then perhaps you are over-thinking the issue just a bit.

so there

14. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I'm not, I even knew the "right" way and still don't always care enough not to write in "fafafa". Highlight-click white is sometimes quicker and I'm lazy. (sometimes)

15. Boggle macrumors 6502

Boggle

Ironically, I discovered invistext by quoting you in some other thread...I remember this b/c the comment was er...um informative.

16. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

You thought there was going to be something to read here, didn't you?

17. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

I'm having to highlight this entire page. :rolleyes:

18. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Guess I had been wrong all that time. Sorry JSW.

19. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

A little ridiculous, but I do agree actually. The invisible text has run its course in my opinion, and should go now.

20. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

VII: :eek: :p :eek: i did apple-a :p so there

21. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Putting on my personal hat (not as a moderator), I could live just fine without any Invistext and I think arn should change the forum background color to be randomly chosen for every page load so that text can't be hidden effectively. Then we'd be rid of that annoyance, at the small expense of having shockingly bright orange, green, yellow, blue, purple, red, etc. pages as we read the forums.

22. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Borrowing Dr. Q's hat, is it easily possible in the vbulletin software to have an option in the User CP alongside the "no avatars," "no signatures," and "no graphics" options, that disables all text modifications? This would kill many birds with one stone -- the bird that's singing about funny fonts, the bird that's singing about big sized text, and also the present issue. Erm, yeah, raven, hrmmm...no offense to beloved birds here present.

23. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If you cannot insult someone in the open, and have the joy of everyone seeing it.

What's the point?

If you have to hide text...

Are you shy? Or don't you think the sappy love letters to other members should be taken to the chat room.

24. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

25. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

According to jsw, I've been getting this entire InvisiText™ thing wrong. Well stuff him! What would he know, he's just a MoonMod™.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.