Debating...12" Powerbooks

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Hwnlocalgurl, Apr 21, 2004.

1. Hwnlocalgurl macrumors newbie

I went to the Apple store here in Hawaii. I was hoping they had the new demos of the powerbook/ibooks out. They didn't, but they had them all in stock if you wanted to buy some. Boy, does this store in Ala Moana get crowded...

Anyway, my brother is going to definitely buy an 12" ibook. We're both going to switch from PC to Mac. On top of this we can get the 15% discount. Since I can get that, I'm seriously debating the 12" Powerbook. I'm probably going to wait a few months to buy it though if I do go and get a pbook. Anyway, is it worth getting the 12" pbook over the 12" ibook? For some reason the ibook looks good too, since it was really nicely upgraded to 1 gHz and 1.25 RAM. I don't need the superdrive, since I don't really want to burn DVDs. I'm mostly going to be doing the normal stuff like internet, email, word processing, powerpoint, but I'm also thinking of taking classes for Photoshop later. I can do some stuff in PS already and have been webdesigning for awhile using this PC I have.

2. freddiecable macrumors 6502a

freddiecable

if the ?book is going to be your only computer I would strongly recommend the powerbook before the ibook. the ibook is great in many ways...but...the powerbook has a 64 mb graphic card, 33% faster CPU, better support for external screen for serious work, bigger HD by default etc

and it is more pro-looking with smaller foot-print and less weight :)

3. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

I'm going to agree with freddiecable. In my opinion (and this is just my opinion), the powerbook is going to last you longer and it has less of a user/performance ceiling as the ibook. I'm expecting the 12" powerbook I just got to easily handle all the heavy photoshop work that I'm going to do on it. So, I say, if you can afford it, spurge alittle and go for the powerbook.

4. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I have a 12" rev. B powerbook (which is essentially the same as the new 12" ibook). For the things you do, the 12" ibook has plenty of power and will run great, especially if you put in lots of RAM. It is true, though, that the PB will last a little longer because of it's higher specs. If you plan on keeping this for many years, go with the PB. But for now and the next couple of years, the ibook should be plenty.

5. gravityplan macrumors newbie

I've been back and forth on this so many times it's crazy... Reading other threads on this forum managed to convince me to get an ibook, but this thread is got me going back in the pb direction. I'm starting to get dizzy. :p

6. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Which threads have edged you more toward the iBook?
    Since I'm in pretty much the same boat- I'm overly curious about what everyone has to say...

I can pretty much look at/consider any of the iBooks or the 12" PBook... I can't afford the 15" right now... I don't need the Superdrive (have a desktop for burning DVD's - if I ever actually need to) but I will need the networking options... AE and Bluetooth...

7. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

The iBook will *work*, but the PB will give you a much better experience. Unless, it stretches your budget, get it instead. However, I would REALLY recommend the 15" instead. Perfect portability, screen estate combo.

8. Hwnlocalgurl thread starter macrumors newbie

DreaminDirector how is the new "12 so far?

DreaminDirector, how is the new 12" pbook? Does it get hot and you didn't get any dead pixels and stuff?

I've been debating over this some time. In fact a few days ago thinking I was going to get the ibook over the powerbook when the new ones came out. Now I'm leaning more towards the pbook, I like the compactness of it and the sleek design.

9. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    i would go with the PB.

But, I would HIGHLY recommend you get applecare with it. If you are a student and purchase applecare at the same time as the laptop, you save something like $100 on the applecare.

10. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

when i purchased my 17" powerbook at the apple store I asked for the machine to be opened so I could check the screen. after that passed with no dead/stuck pixels, i handed them my credit card.

supposedly they won't do this, but they did it for me. if they won't let you, make them understand you will not be purchasing the book w/o a prior inspection.

11. Hwnlocalgurl thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, to get the 15% I'd have to order it online, since I can get the employee discount and stuff. I can't look at the product before I buy it. I am going to talk to someone about it, before I actually go and put the money down. My brother had asked the question about the dead pixels. They said it was mostly a 15" powerbook problem?

12. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

no- it is an LCD problem. not only apple has this problem, every lcd does.

there are 1,425,600 pixels on my laptop. it is pretty difficult to make a perfect display. in order to keep costs within reason, there must be a certain number of dead/stuck pixels to not sell the display. when you have 1 dead pixel, that is not enough to warrant a return. 5, no, 20, yes... but these are not fixed numbers. it matters with each case.

but- i wouldn't worry too much about it. i have purchased three laptops from apple, and i have gotten 1 dead pixel out of millions.

13. Hwnlocalgurl thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool thanks! I was wondering about the screens. I'm hoping I don't get a dead pixel in the middle of the screen. I would not want that happening. At the stores I haven't seen any with dead pixel, unless you really can't tell?

14. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I was just reading the another post and someone commented that the three big differences are

33% Faster
    SuperDrive
    DVI.

If these are not a factor for you, then iBook will be a better "Value"

If you can afford the PB though, I would say go for it. I just have this bias towards them. I think they are better, but I have no sound reasoning. also a tad bit smaller. Which I like alot.

15. Hwnlocalgurl thread starter macrumors newbie

I would spend the $1500 and under for a new computer. I've had this PC Dell Dimenson P3 700 mHz for about 3 years. It probably needs to majorly be reformated and upgraded to XP, I'm probably going to still use it occasionally since I'm putting more RAM in it eventually. I'm tired of these popups and viruses though, I'm so ready to buy a Mac.

16. thirteen1031 macrumors 6502

thirteen1031

You certainly will be saving a substantial amount of money getting the 12" iBook over the 12" powerbook--but DO remember to get extra RAM--anything less than 512 and your Mac will be sluggish. iBooks are less delicate than pb's (they don't dent if dropped), tend to have a longer battery life and better wi-fi.

The advantage of the powerbook is that it IS the smallest laptop, it will have a bit more power, better video and graphics and it's keyboard is far superior.

But really, given what you say you're going to be doing, it comes down to two questions: (1) do you have the money to splurge? and (2) which do you like better--personally, aesthetically? Because it sounds to me like either one will more than satisfy your needs.

If your pocketbook can afford either, go with your gut. Get the one you feel you really want. Spoil yourself. The laptops are beautifully designed, last years and have a good resale value. They are worth the money. If your pocketbook could really use the savings, on the other hand, then go for the iBook.

17. gkrykewy macrumors member

I just was in the same situation and purchased the iBook (My first Apple since a IIC my parents bought me in like 1986, actually). In my opinion, anyone suggesting you'd NEED the powerbook for Photoshop work is really reaching. My fiance has a 4 year old G3 Pismo Powerbook with like 384 megs of RAM and it runs Photoshop quite well, although not as quickly as newer machines obviously. For me, the marginal spec upgrade that I would achieve by spending the roughly 300 extra dollars for a PBook was not worthwhile. After all, both machines are going to be obsolete in three years, and both will be thought of as being in a very similar class. They're really very similar systems, and I believe the iBook is more bang for your buck.

I would also suggest that, whichever way you go, make sure to upgrade the ram. I bought an extra 512 for my iBook from a third party seller. In addition, if you get the iBook, splurge a little for the bluetooth upgrade at the outset (it can't be added later).

There's an easy software fix that will allow you to use an external monitor with the iBook in monitor spanning mode, if you're interested in that.

18. Hwnlocalgurl thread starter macrumors newbie

I was looking at buying more RAM for whichever I decide to get. I've definitely been looking at crucial which is really way less than Apple. o_O

I like that pbook as a line in and stuff. Ah, the choices...

19. freddiecable macrumors 6502a

freddiecable

hej again,

I think whatever you choose you'll be satisfied. but if it's going to be your main working tool - i would choose the powerbook 12". it's "only" 500 USD extra and you get:

33% faster cpu
    64 mb gpu
    dvi-out for working on large screen.
    airport extreme
    bluetooth
    60 gb HD (default vs. 30)
    somewhat smaller footprint & lighter

i have a dual 2 ghz G5 and i would choose ibook 1 ghz as portable computer for internet, itunes, server (quiet) and everyday life companion. there is no point for me to have a pbook since I've got the power in my powermac ;)

20. Hwnlocalgurl thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm really heavily leaning on getting the Powerbook. It's just so kewl, expensive, but kewl. I think I like the idea it will last me awhile and I'm definitely going to upgrade the RAM elsewhere. I do admit I like both laptops, too bad I don't have money for both of them.

21. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

My brother has one of the new Ibooks. The powerbook is far more superior compared to the Ibook. It feels really cheap and "plastic". Childish in a way.

I don't think that would be a problem for me, not at all. I would happily use an Ibook but i chose the powerbook for its aluminum case (brilliant) and its better specs. It looks and feels that part. You will not be disappointed with the PB.
    Good luck in choosing :)

22. freddiecable macrumors 6502a

freddiecable

you shouldn't feel bad - the powerbook will keep you satisfied for a long time and you will not look back/regret not choosing the ibook!

i don't think it's a tough decision. sure - if you don't have the money...go for the ibook - but if you have the money...and if you're serious about your work on the computer the powerbook is a sure shot! but remember - you can certainly also be serious with an ibook!

good luck :)

23. mateybob macrumors member

imo the ibook represents better value for money than the powerbook...
    but personally id still buy the powerbook for the increased performance and looks...
    its really just a matter of budget i guess..

24. Hwnlocalgurl thread starter macrumors newbie

I really want to get a powerbook, but I like both of them. I figure I need the powerbook for garageband and photoshop. I figure it's worth the money and it will last me longer than this stupid pc that I'm on. It will also be waaaaaaaay faster than this P3 700 mHz.

25. svejar macrumors member

I've been through this process for the last couple of days. But I settled for an iBook. Why? I live in Norway, and the price difference after I've added BT and a larger HD to the stock iBook is still $500. And I'm putting that towards an extra 512MB of RAM and a digital camera.

So even if the PB is a better machine, the functionality I get from my investment is larger when going for the iBook. But then again - I will not be needing the DVI and the extra 32MB on the graphics card.

In the end I couldn't justify paying $500 extra for those 333MHz.