*Dec. 21st 2012 the END OF THE WORLD!?*

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by stoich, Sep 25, 2008.

1. macrumors member

So supposedly the world is supposed to end on Dec. 21 2012 or should I say the Maya Calendar ends then. Is this just another Y2k or is this one for real?:eek:

2. macrumors 604

Melrose

I wouldn't put much faith in it. Last time I checked, the Maya are long since dead anyway.

Kind of like saying "My watch stopped so that means time stands still." :D

3. macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Mac OS X supports various calendar systems. However, the Mayan calendar is not one of them.
    Picture 2.png
    Therefore, we should be fine. :p

4. thread starter macrumors member

http://www.december212012.com/ look at all this crazyness. They have some facts backing it up. Its kinda creepy to think about. I honestly dont think it will............BUT what if it did!! thats to much to even think about :(

Also melrose has your watch been ticking for 5000 years??????

5. macrumors 604

Melrose

Um, does that prove something?

btw, my watch is a rare antique, yes.

6. thread starter macrumors member

The maya calendar has been going for 5000+ years and it has predicted many things that have came true. Im just saying it ending is a pretty big deal in many cultures.

7. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

I'm positive it is just like Y2K...a load of crap.

8. macrumors G3

NT1440

what did it predict. How could it predict anything relevent in the world of today with technology that would have been unbeleivable at the time.

I really dont understand how anyone can beleive this kind of crap. Enough ppl on the internet say it so it must be true!

9. macrumors regular

10. macrumors 604

Melrose

I bet Santa uses the Mayan calendar! :D

11. macrumors G3

Counterfit

Doesn't anyone listen to Rush? It's 2112. :rolleyes:

12. macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

The year I graduate, and I will probably graduate a semester early.

You better believe I will be super hammered either way.

13. macrumors 68020

Beric

Sorry, I think this is bogus. Basing "the end of the world" on only a calender is a bit of a stretch. :p

14. macrumors G3

puckhead193

guess i won't have to do my "holiday" shopping in 2012 :p
    but dam no gifts and worst of all no MWSF 2013 :eek::mad:

15. macrumors 6502a

doubleohseven

Me too. I'll most likely be studying my first year in College at that time. But really, no matter what, I don't want the world to end! I'll be 19 in 2012 and would have not even reached adulthood if I lived in America. But I'm staying positive; many predictions have been made as to when the world will end and, well, we're still here!

16. macrumors 68020

localoid

Re: "the Maya are long since dead"

The Maya peoples never disappeared, neither at the time of the Classic period decline nor with the arrival of the Spanish conquistadores and the subsequent Spanish colonization of the Americas. Today, the Maya and their descendants form sizable populations throughout the Maya area and maintain a distinctive set of traditions and beliefs that are the result of the merger of pre-Columbian and post-Conquest ideologies (and structured by the almost total adoption of Roman Catholicism). Many different Mayan languages continue to be spoken as primary languages today; the Rabinal Achí, a play written in the Achi' language, was declared a Masterpiece of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity by UNESCO in 2005.

(From the Wikipedia article: Maya civilization)

Re: 2012

The Mesoamerican Long Count calendar forms the basis for a New Age belief, first forecast by José Argüelles, that a cataclysm will take place on or about 21 December 2012, a forecast that mainstream Mayanist scholars consider a misinterpretation.[12]

[12] Susan Milbrath, Curator of Latin American Art and Archaeology , Florida Museum of Natural History, quoted in USA Today, Wednesday, March 28, 2007, p. 11D. "... we have no record or knowledge that they would think the world would come to an end at that point."

"For the ancient Maya, it was a huge celebration to make it to the end of a whole cycle," says Sandra Noble, executive director of the Foundation for the Advancement of Mesoamerican Studies, Inc. in Crystal River, Florida. To render December 21, 2012, as a doomsday or moment of cosmic shifting, she says, is "a complete fabrication and a chance for a lot of people to cash in." (Quoted in USA Today, Wednesday, March 28, 2007, p. 11D.)

(From the Wikipedia article: Maya calendar)

17. macrumors 6502

That's my birthday :)

18. macrumors 65816

c-Row

Ha, that's nothing. My calendar ends on December 31st. Guess my grocery shop can predict the end of the world, too. :eek:

19. macrumors 6502

c-row. I applaud. That truly was humorous(round of applause)... :)

20. macrumors 65816

design-is

Am I the only one who thinks (no matter how unlikely the whole thing is) if the world was going to end at the end of the 'long count' this is far more likely to be in the year 8000 when the calender reaches 20.0.0.0.0 rather than 2012 at 13.0.0.0.0.

I mean really, why would all the numbers go to 19 then switch and for some random reason the last one would go to 13? Madness.

21. macrumors 601

liketom

question is if the world ends on the 21st - will by Time Machine Backup still work at 12.00 am on the 22nd ?

that is what worries me! got to make sure my iTunes colection lives on

22. macrumors 6502

I wonder when the next 'apocalypse' will be when 2012 is over? 2013, 2020? Who knows.

23. macrumors G3

Sesshi

Maybe they decided to go ahead of the event. Avoid the rush, as it were. Or just try and forget about it by imploding their civilisation.

24. macrumors 6502

Can Kevin Rose tell us if the rumors are true?

25. macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Does a calendar even matter? There have been many who have modify and changing dates layout. It ends, when it ends, not on a guesstimate.