Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

A. Hutch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2005
Forgive me, if this has already been answered, but is there a way to deactivate Windows XP so I can install Windows on another computer? My copy of Windows was bought legally and installed through Bootcamp. However, I want to switch to Parallels. Will simply deleting windows deactivate the computer. Any help is appreciated.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
It's the act of successfully activating it on another PC that "de-activates" a Windows install. To do this you may have to spend time with the kind folks at Microsoft to explain why it it you need to move your license.

B

adrianblaine

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2006
Pasadena, CA
Forgive me, if this has already been answered, but is there a way to deactivate Windows XP so I can install Windows on another computer? My copy of Windows was bought legally and installed through Bootcamp. However, I want to switch to Parallels. Will simply deleting windows deactivate the computer. Any help is appreciated.

Pretty soon Parallels will be able to run off of your Bootcamp partition. The Beta can already do it, but I've heard it still has some bugs...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.