decaffinated coffee plant

Discussion in 'Community' started by Zaid, Jun 19, 2003.

1. Zaid macrumors 6502

Scientists have successfully genetically engineered a coffee plant that produces 70% less caffine than a normal coffee plant.

link

This is just wrong on so many levels. I'm all for Genetic engineering, (i think goats producing spider silk protein in their milk is cool.) but decaffinated coffee plants :eek: , thats going tooo far.

I mean decaffinated coffee is just wrong, its like non-alcoholic beer or sex without an orgasm, its just wrong. :)

bah.. i need a cup of coffee (caffinated that is :) )

2. Wardofsky macrumors 65816

Well, cafeine can raise blood pressure levels so it's not to suprising that this has come along.

Doing it before they are made into coffee means that they do not have to force the caffeine out of it preventing any loss (and there is) of taste.

Despite me only drinking normal Lazzaa (Best Coffee!) I can certainly see a reason to drink this.

I'll probably avoid it...

3. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

If someone can't drink caffeine, or doesn't want to, then they should pick another drink. There is plety of them out there. Decaffeinated coffee is beer without the alcohol.

4. Zaid thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats not fair, you're being logical :)

Yeh i can see the resons for it, it just seems irreverent somehow. :)

Yeh i just stay away from decaf anyway, and instant coffee.

best drink for the summer, double esspresso poured over ice cubes, becomes ice cold in a few secs. great for a really hot day.

5. celaurie macrumors 6502a

celaurie

God, NO! They can't do it... they can't! We need caffine to survive our long boring night-shifts! Don't let them take away our hit... Pleeease.

Chris, feeling slightly fanatical

6. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

In some Vietnamese restaurants, I've had the same thing, but with some sweetened condensed milk along with the ice and coffee. Wonderful. Wish I had some right now instead of what remains of my morning coffee.

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Although as an experiment its ok, I guess. But what if one of these plants gets loose in the wild and cross breeds with the regular caffenated coffee plant?

I'd hope they'd just stick to a 'process' to remove the caffene.

D

8. Zaid thread starter macrumors 6502

I dunno i generally like my coffee without milk or sugar, but i can see how that would be a nice drink on a hot day. Isn't it too sweet tho ?

I hear you brother, i hear you :) Caffine helps with that 2nd wind at 2am when you're modelling trying to meet deadlines. Caffine is your frieeend. dont takes our precious away :)

9. Wardofsky macrumors 65816

That would be horrible, I certianly don't want any Café Lattes without a hit.

I mean, once you start drinking regular coffee, you can tell the obvious difference in taste, some decaf drinking scientists may have been disappointed with normal decaf.

Why not make some with out any caffeine in the start.

Good for them, but I'll stay with normal caffeinated coffee, I'm not taking sides.

10. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

There are alot of people that need caffeine free coffee for medical reasons, anxiety and heart problems just to name a couple. I've also learned recently that caffeine reduces calcium absorption. It's the reason that I'm only allowed 16 ounces per day of a caffeine drink. The chemical process to remove caffeine isn't necessarily safe either. A genetic change should be much safer. Science has been doing this for years!

11. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

I'm a milk and sugar in my coffee drinker so I don't mind the sweetness. For you, it would be too much I'm afraid.

12. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

Re: decaffinated coffee plant

its probably more healthy than regular decaf - its pumped full of so much crap to remove the caffeine.

Mind you, i guess we're a little early on to see the effects of GM goods - who knows, our kids' kids could have 7 nipples and breasts growing on their backs

13. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

you just wait till your old .. iwork in a resturant and the old people always want decaf its like an axiom not to offend old people but some are really picky........

14. Wardofsky macrumors 65816

I believe it is only a rpoblem for younger people, it "clogs" the pores that absorb calcium which gives you the risk of Osteo Perosis in later life.

That's why some parents are strict over things like Coke and Pepsi, I sometimes encouter that when I have a coffee in the morning (Only sometimes) but I keep it down to around 1 a day.