decent AAC encoder

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by TyWahn, Apr 4, 2005.

1. TyWahn macrumors 6502

TyWahn

I have been using iTtunes to rip my entire CD collection to AAC.. i use 192 AAC but the songs still sound muddy to me .. am i the only one that thinks iTunes encoder could be better? The songs coming form Apple themselves obviously don't use the iTunes encoder in the songs they sell... Does anybody know of a good program that will do this at a better quality than iTunes (tag support would be great)
    Thanks!!

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i dont know of any other apps that encode in AAC, but i think mine sound fine at 128AAC, perhaps give other bitrates a try to see whats the best for yourself

3. TyWahn thread starter macrumors 6502

TyWahn

can a higher bitrate actually do more harm than good?

4. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

5. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

No.

6. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Try Apples Lossless codec. If it still doesn't sound good, get new speakers.

7. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

Werd \m/ Though I use 192 AAC for ripping my CDs.

8. iPost macrumors regular

Might want to try QuickTime Pro

QuickTime Pro offers better AAC encoding quality than iTunes. It takes longer to rip a CD using the "best" setting in QuickTime Pro than with standard iTunes. And, Apple has said that you shouldn't notice much of a difference between the two, but other people have noticed much better results. My guess is that Apple wants iTunes to appear as a fast encoder (iTunes uses the QT AAC encoder, but only at the faster medium quality setting), so they don't offer the higher quality setting that rips slower.

See http://www.dougscripts.com/itunes/itinfo/makeminempeg4.php for a nice front-end to QTPro.

See http://www.recordstorereview.com/misc/aacmp3.shtml (make sure you check out Part 2) for a comparison of QTPro to iTunes encodings.