Decent and Cheap Hosting

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by epochblue, Mar 20, 2007.

1. epochblue macrumors 68000

Aug 12, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    My father's office is thinking of getting their first website up and going and they're looking around for some decent hosting. They won't be serving up anything fancy just yet, but they'd like it to be as reliable as possible (99% uptime at least).

Has anyone had any kind of experience with a host they liked? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  2. SkyBell macrumors 604

Sep 7, 2006
    Texas, unfortunately.
    I really like Yahoo's Small Business hosting. I have never had a problem with them.

$12 a month for basic.
  3. pianoman181 macrumors regular

Jan 6, 2004
    I've had great(!) luck with Siteground ( Highly recommended. They keep upgrading my service, too. I've gotten more storage, more bandwidth, faster server, they've moved servers to help accomodate my requests, etc. Excellent. Very pleased with them.
  4. lu0s3r322 macrumors 6502a

Nov 28, 2005
    Illinois, USA

$9 a month i think w/ a new domain.

also you can get coupon codes from digg
  5. free radical macrumors newbie

Aug 30, 2006
  6. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    A Small Orange is the most popular recommendation here as a combination of good price, decent bandwidth/sisk space, and excellent uptime and customer service.

I use DreamHost, but their uptime is not the best. It's pretty good, and the disk space/bandwidth is obscene, but I can't necessarily recommend them for a business - although they keep getting better. They're great for personal storage and use, though.
  7. epochblue thread starter macrumors 68000

Aug 12, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Has the cost to you gone up with each upgrade?
  8. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

May 7, 2002
    2 Much Infinite Loops
    this might be OT, but here goes.

our church wishes to have website. a website with CMS would be great, because the people who would input data are not the most computer-savvy people.

and the hosting would be free, if possible.

do you guys have any ideas?
  9. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Dec 7, 2006
    São Paulo
    I whould go with godaddy they are geat and cheap:)
  10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    Only to echo JSW, A Small Orange are extremely good both in value and especially support.
  11. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    ASO as mentioned by jsw and edesignuk, are great. so i'll chime in for a third time recommending them.
  12. epochblue thread starter macrumors 68000

Aug 12, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I keep hearing ASO mentioned - but comparing their numbers for disk and transfer they seem to come up a little short. I've heard their service and support is excellent, though, and that may well make up the difference.

Do any of you know what kind of charge they give you for going over your alloted bandwidth? I couldn't seem to find that on their site (of course, I didn't dig too deep)...

And thank you for the responses, this is definitely very helpful.
  13. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    Chances of you going over are slim though, if you do, they will also let you just go up to the next plan, they are very flexible like that.
  14. mustard macrumors 6502a

Dec 28, 2005

Hosting starting at $2.99 per month
    Free domain if signing up for 1year of hosting
  15. way77 macrumors newbie

Oct 26, 2006
    Try this

I've been using for several years now for 2 sites. I paid $25 per year (it might be $30 per year now) and that includes name registration. Customer service is not the quickest or best but is adequate.
  16. AlexH macrumors 68000

Mar 7, 2006
    I've been using for a while now, and haven't had any issues with uptime. Their customer service has been really good to me.

200GB storage
    2,000GB transfer
    $6.95 (free domain name included)
  17. neut macrumors 68000

Nov 27, 2001
    here (for now)

ASO is by far the most creditable host with a 99.5% uptime guarantee and features:
    With a cpanel front end it's extreamely easy to manage your domain(s) and all the features that come with it. Scripting is a breeze to add and Email is cake.

I'll be an ******* an ask if you'd use my name (neut) as a referrer when ordering. :p

peace | neut
  18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Nov 3, 2005
    Another recommendation for ASO, for $25/year I get 3GB/month bandwidth, I have had about 450 visits this month and I have used 17% of my bandwidth, and I made my site in iWeb so it's not exactly web optimised ;).
  19. tutubibi macrumors 6502a

Sep 18, 2003
    Another vote for ASO. Good price, great service.
  20. therevolution macrumors 6502

May 12, 2003
    I used to have ASO. Their service, uptime, and all that stuff was great. But they're pretty expensive on a storage-per-dollar basis compared to many other hosts. I ran out of space with the $10/month plan (1 GB), and rather than pay $20/month to get more space, I switched to 1and1. I pay $10/month there and have all the storage/bandwidth I could ever need. No complaints with the service after about 6 months.
  21. Xyl macrumors regular

Dec 30, 2006
    I use Lunarpages: Highly recommended, up-time is great. I've been using them for (3+?) years and have had no problems.

Service/Support is ok (I've only used it for billing inquiries).

$7/month (you need to stay with them for 2 years though) includes free domain name, and basically unlimited storage and bandwidth (well, it's 250GB and 2500GB respectively, but I don't think you'll ever need that much). They also support a bunch of scripting languages (PHP, Perl, etc) and an unlimited number of MySQL databases. They have a whole bunch of free software packages (forums, e-commerce tools, etc) but I've never used them so I can't say anything about them.
  22. JNB macrumors 604

Oct 7, 2004
    In a Hell predominately of my own making
    I've been with 1&1 for a few years, they keep getting better and adding to my package with no additional charges. $5/month and more of everything than I can ever use.

I did a quick comparison, and it really boils down to storage or bandwidth. If you need the space, go with ASO. If it's bandwidth (transfer volume), then 1&1 is the choice.

Most of the other stuff is fluff. I mean, does it really matter if I have 1200 email accounts or an unlimited amount?
  23. djstarrock macrumors 6502a

Nov 23, 2006
    UK, Scotland, Glasgow
    I recommend 1MajorHost
    99.98 uptime
    10gb of storage
    100gb of bandwidth
    no adverts
    and best of all there free you can use your own domain.
  24. dustininsf macrumors newbie

Sep 4, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    No TextDrive folks here?

The price is a bit higher (though not much) but you get a nice set of services and an amazing user forum. Joyent (their parent company) is in the process of rebranding everything under the Joyent name, so some of the nomenclature is shifting... but

Startup - Gets you all three of their "core" services
    $15/mo (or $99/year prepaid ~$8/mo)

* TextDrive Hosting - 5GiB disk/15GiB bandwidth/5databases/5websites (as in apache virtual servers ~ unlimited subdomains, unlimited email addresses, etc.) Shell Access
    * StrongSpace Secure backup 5GiB, 5 up/download users (unlimited read only) unlimited bandwidth (but everyone must use a login) Awesome web interface, SFTP (with ssh for rsync)
    * Joyent Connector 5 users, 5 GiB storage - online webapp for teams, IMAP mail, calendar, contacts, files, bookmarks, etc. - offers great collaboration/commenting/tagging on anything, notifications, etc.

I'm just a very satisfied customer (so much that I bought in on a lifetime plan a while back). I won't be shameless and list my affiliate link here but if you're interested or have questions, contact me directly.
  25. Mooey macrumors regular

Feb 8, 2007
    I use

.01 cent for the first month, 7 dollars/mo thereafter.

50GB of storage
    200GB of Bandwidth
    All sorts of features.

I'm about to switch to either IX WebHosting, or whenever my trial runs up.

I haven't decided yet.